Sunday, July 29, 2018

Affirmations



9Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11“The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12‘I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13“And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14“I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Luke 18: 9 - 14 NKJV

I sent a message out to a few friends this week in which I lamented those thoughts and words of others who might not like me.  For the most part, this was meant to be a affirmation that it is not the judgements of others that will ultimately define me, but my love and faith in Christ Jesus.  I cherished one of the responses from a dear friend..."you are loved!"  See, there are many times in the hustle of the work week where my thoughts of love and being loved by others give way to thoughts of condemnation.  Who are you to think you are above me?  You're nothing but a sinner like me!  Now, let me say that I will never see myself as being better than others, that's not how my mama raised me.  That being said, there will certainly never be a shortage of those around us who will take each and every opportunity to speak to us words of condemnation and doubt.  I have a co worker who will refer to people such as this as haters, I would tend to agree.  I will agree that there are those voices out there that will stop at nothing to bring others down.  I would also agree that there are those thoughts within each of us which will promote doubt and feelings of low self worth as well.  So, what is it that so often draws us into feeling less than worthy?  I love the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector we find in Luke 18, and have turned to it often when I'm feeling low.  Two men, both men of authority in their culture.  Two men, both seemingly could be looked down upon by those around them.  The Pharisee, seemingly full of all sorts of righteousness, offers up a prayer thankfull that he was "not like other men!"  He proceeds to ramble off all of the supposed virtues of a righteous man, tithes and fasting.  How could such a man be seen as anything but righteous?  Then we have the hated tax collector, for even in his day the people had a low opinion of men of his occupation.  Did this tax collector go through his own list of virtues?  Could he ever match the righteousness of the religious Pharisee?  Apparently he didn't feel he could as he immediately prayed with remorse that God would "be merciful to me a sinner!"  It was Jesus Himself who tells us that it was this tax collector who went away justified.

Those days when everything around me tells me I'm no good.  That I'll never be worthy.  Why would I even try?  I struggle with affirmations, with assuring myself that I, indeed, am important to all I meet.  He has not only called me His son, but free of any and all condemnations as well.  I am Scott, also known as Jesus!  Some days are diamonds, some days are coal.
~Scott~

A dear friend responded to my message on affirmations with very encouraging words.  Speak what God says, anything else is a lie!  Amen brother.  There are some who have gotten into that habit, through journals or scripture reading, of speaking daily affirmations into their conscious minds each day.  I get it.  Good messages in, good feelings out.  I would be the first one to tell anyone that the more possitive messages we can speak unto ourselves each day is a good thing.  The more we focus our thoughts upon good things, the end result will be obvious to anyone.  My question would be, why do even need affirmations?  The truth of Christ Jesus is that it is Jesus Himself who lives through us today {Galations 2:20}.  This is the best affirmation that anyone could ever have!  Jesus is there with us each step of the way.  There isn't a minute which goes by that Jesus is not intimately involved in the lives of those who trust in Him.  Everything we experience each day He experiences through us.  What affirmations do you think Jesus would speak to us each day?  Well, I believe that He spoke through my friend earlier this week.  You are loved!
I have a friend who has made claims that he will only associate himself with those who lift him up possitively.  Now, while this might narrow his circle of friends, I agree with what he is saying.  I mean, who wants to be around a bunch of neagative people?  Trust me, I've been there and it aint no cake walk by any means.  Maybe that's why so many of us need our daily affirmations, to combat the negative influence of those gloomy people around us.  Yet those who trust in Christ Jesus can walk in His confidence each and every day.  I know from where my strength comes.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who jwill believe in Me through their word;21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.
John 17: 20 - 24 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: