Wednesday, July 18, 2018

Speaking Jesus



19Then, the same day at evening, being the first day of the week, when the doors were shut where the disciples were eassembled, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them, “Peace be with you.” 20When He had said this, He showed them His hands and His side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord. 21So Jesus said to them again, “Peace to you! As the Father has sent Me, I also send you.”22And when He had said this, He breathed on them, and said to them, “Receive the Holy Spirit. 23“If you forgive the sins of any, they are forgiven them; if you retain the sins of any, they are retained.”
John 20: 19 - 23 NKJV

I recently posed a question to a few guys in our group.  The question was, how is it that we speak Christ Jesus to those around us?  Now, some may refer to it as speaking the gospel of Christ, but I prefer speaking Jesus.  After all, it is the very words of Christ which we find in the new testament that offer up the desires of our heavenly Father for those living in the new covenant.  New covenant living, those who live in the new truth of Christ Jesus which we find in Galations 2:20.  So, how is it that I, as one living in the new covenant, "speak Jesus" to those around me?  Believe me, there are more than a few schools of thought on this issue.  You might see them each day as they evangelize on a street corner on your way to work.  Working in the public, I come into contact with a variety of people in the course of my daily duties.  For the most part, it is others who will approach me and inquire if I am a christian.  I've often thought, what is it about me that would even give the hint to someone that I was a christian, a follower of Jesus?  Rarely when someone has approached me inquiring if I was a christian have I initiated that conversation.  Obviously, they noticed something in me for them to recognize that I was a follower of Jesus.  Now, I would say that they did not notice something in me...but SOMEONE.  For those who are a bit confused by this statement, I would refer you to the words of the apostle Paul in Galations.  For it was Paul who shared with the world the truth of Christ that it is Jesus Himself who lives through us today.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV

It wasn't until I read over these words of the apostle Paul and came to realize the truth of Christ in me that I began to understand our pure evangelism.  After His resurection Jesus instructed His followers to "make disciples" of all the nations {Matthew 28:19}.  Who better to carry out the new covenant gospel of Jesus than those who had spent so much time with Him?  Indeed, it was these apostles who traveled the ancient world speaking the words and teachings of Christ.  When people would meet one of these men, there was no doubt that the Spirit of Christ was within them.  Well, we today share His Spirit as these early apostles did.  I believe that this is why a complete stranger can approach me with the understanding that there is a good chance that I am a christian.  In fact, I have seen this in others as well.  So my question to my friends was this, how is it that we as followers of Christ speak Jesus to others?  Simple, we speak who we are.  If Christ lives through us, then He will be exhibited through all that we do.  That is better than any evangelism man could ever come up with.  I don't need a sunday sermon, church seminar or video series on evangelism to understand that it is Christ Jesus who ultimately lives and moves through me.  Whatever it is I experience, I experience through Him.  Whatever it is I speak, I speak through Him.  Of course, there will be others who will bring up that elephant in the room...our own flesh.  To this I answer, although our flesh is indeed a part of our creation, it no longer defines us.  We can now proclaim with confidence...I AM Jesus!

6knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.7For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him.10For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11Likewise you also,

reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: