Thursday, July 19, 2018

The Happy Few



We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day
~Willim Shakespear    Henry V~

What would you do if you were uncertain of your own future, that salvation which you once you held so dear?  What if all of the rewards of heaven were lavished upon a chosen, selected few souls?  Would that change your feelings about the God you know, or thought you knew?  Well, there are in christian circles today those who believe that salvation is but for Gods chosen few.  So, my first question would be....how do I become one of these chosen few?  For most christians, we have been taught that our salvation is but a gift given by the grace of God.  So, is salvation given to a chosen few also given by grace?  If so, how then is this grace of God earned?  I mean, if we are now basing our eternity with Christ Jesus on something which is earned, I want to make damn sure my account is in good order!  Can anyone see the folly with this line of thinking?  If God were to give His salvation only to the fortunate and most righteous, then what of the finished work of Christ Jesus on the cross?  Is it indeed true that Jesus came that "all might be saved? {John 3:17}"  I know what you're thinking, Scotty, what's with all the questions?  Well, I'm asking because others have been asking as well.  I've also wondered early in my christian walk if I was good enough to "earn" my way into Gods good graces.  If I wasn't, then did I need to pray more?  Tithe more?  There I go again.  If there is one word of advice that I would give to someone who is questioning whether of not they are saved it would be...relax.  Be still and know that He is God {Psalm 46:10}.  For myself, I refuse to hold fast to a belief that flys in the face of the love and grace of my heavenly Father.

8For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, 9not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2: 8 - 10 NKJV

This idea that christians need to work out their own salvation is nothing new.  For if we live according to the law, we will constantly find ourselves seeking to "earn" our Lords good graces.  However, we can rest in knowing that the law of the Spirit of Life in Christ has made me free of the law of sin and death {Romans 8:2}.  In other words, it is Christ who has nailed to the cross the law of the requirements which were against us {Colosions 2:14}.  We no longer live by the law, but by Christ Jesus.  I cannot tell you how freeing it is knowing that there is nothing I can do to buy my way into salvation.  So, what must we do to be saved?  Simple, believe and acknowledge the Lord Jesus Christ.  The apostle Paul tells us that if will only confess with our mouths that Jesus is Lord and believe in our own hearts that we will be saved {Romans 10:9}.  It's that simple.  We don't need to pray more, read our bibles more or anything else that we feel will earn our way into heaven.  All we need do is believe.  Believe that Christ Jesus rose from the dead.  Believe that He took all of our iniquities past, present and future upon Himself at the cross {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  Believe that it is Christ Jesus who is the one solid path to heaven and salvation{John 14:6}.  This free gift of God is not only one designated for a few of Gods chosen, but for all of Gods children.

1There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. 2For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. 3For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh, 4that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
Romans 8: 1 - 4 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: