Sunday, July 22, 2018

Listening To Jesus



3“Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4“And it happened, as he sowed, that some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds aof the air came and devoured it. 5“Some fell on stony ground, where it did not have much earth; and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth. 6“But when the sun was up it was scorched, and because it had no root it withered away. 7“And some seed fell among thorns; and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no crop.8“But other seed fell on good ground and yielded a crop that sprang up, increased and produced: some thirtyfold, some sixty, and some a hundred.” 9And He said cto them, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear!”
Mark 4: 3 - 9 NKJV

There was a interesting article out there this week that caught my attention.  The author was lamenting a certain argument which he and his spouse once had.  Being described by the author as particuarily "viscious," both partners fought to be in the right.  However, unlike many self help marriage articles out there, this was not the point of the article.  No, the point of this piece seemed to center around a...baby monitor.  Not just the baby monitor, but who it was that might be listening to the baby monitor.  For if anyone were to be listening to this particular baby monitor they would be treated to a front row seat to the viscious fight between the parents.  Now, I'll admit that my very first thought upon reading this article took me not to interpersonal relationships, but to my own truth in Christ.  Yeah, I know that we're told in Galations that it is Christ Jesus who lives through us today, that wasn't my issue {Galations 2:20}.  My issue was, just like that baby monitor, who is it that is listening in to all that I say and do daily?  Are they christian?  As you can imagine, we can never be certain who it is that will be listening in to those conversations we are having.  I'll admit that there have been time swhere I have overheard conversations between two or more supposedly christian people which didn't sound all too...righteous.  I get it.  I'll admit that I have been involved in a conversation ot two which didn't end up too righteous as well.  At that point, it seems that I was more interested in arguing my point than even worrying about what others were hearing from me.  After all, I'm a christian and God is the only one I need to answer to...right?  So, let me toss a hand grenade into this conversation.  As I have been in the middle of one of these strong language arguments, are those listening in seeing Jesus?  My guess is not so much.  I know, one of the first arguments I'll hear is "Scott, you're NOT Jesus!"  Then, upon hearing this I'll jump right into another argument.

3Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. 4Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.
Philippians 2: 3 - 4 NKJV

So, how is it that I can carry that Spirit of Christ within me and not be Jesus?  Believe me, I've had numersous conversations with those who disagree with this claim.  In fact, i was one of those nay sayers before I came to that realization of Christ Jesus in me.  How is it that I, sinful man, could be Jesus?  Well, as I came to find out, that old man I once was no longer exists in the eyes of the Lord {Romans 6:6}.  Crucified with Christ at the cross, all that now remains is Jesus...and me.  Remember also the flack Jesus received when He rightfully called Himself the Son of God.  Was He wrong for proclaiming this?  Of course not, and I am not in error for proclaiming Christ Jesus in me.  But I digress.  The question remains, when others listen to me speak, are they hearing Jesus?  When they see me, are they seeing Jesus?  Of course, I will claim that they are...on both counts.  Even in my darkest moments when my actions or words are not too Godly, it is Jesus who is living through me.  The reality of who I truly am does not change.  As I thought this over I came to yet another realization...that we all need a baby monitor at times!  The sobering reality is that the world around us will never see God but through those who have known Christ.  It is Jesus Himself who came in the form of a common man that those around Him would see the Father.  This is the question which Philip asked of Jesus {John 14:8}.  Little did Philip know that he had already seen the Father through Jesus.  So it is with the world around us.  If anyone were to question us and ask us to show them the Father we could say with assurance...I AM Him!  You recall, of course, when Jesus proclaimed to Philip that if he had seen Him then he had indeed seen the Father {John 14:9}.  For those listening to me at my most inapropriate moments...you are hearing Jesus.

7“If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him.” 8Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” 9Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?10“Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11“Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.
John 14: 7 - 11 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: