Saturday, July 28, 2018

The View From The Cheap Seats



48“However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says: 49‘Heaven is My throne, And earth is My footstool. What house will you build for Me? says the LORD, Or what is the place of My rest? 50Has My hand not made all these things?’
Acts 7: 48 - 50 NKJV

I used to sit among the elect.  Yes, I was indeed one of the chosen few who walked with pride into Gods house each and every Sunday.  I would greet my fellow brethren, bask in my good deeds and take my seat among Gods chosen few.  Here we would praise God and listen intently to a few passages from His word.  This is just what good christians do....right?  I mean, we can run rampant through a hectic week but we ALWAYS make our way into Gods house on sundays.  I once had a friend who would even ask me each monday if I went to "Gods house" on sunday.  Over the years it got to be that I not only associated the church building with God, but also that God Himself was limited to the walls of "His" church.  I would like to think that christian teachings have changed over the years, but I still hear others refering to their church as Gods house.  Now, this may be in jest for some, but believe me there are those in christian circles who take this stuff seriously.  So, is the church indeed Gods house?  Well, I would point out that the church is definately where we hear and are taught about God, but is He limited to His house?  The physician Luke did not think so, as he tells us in Acts that God does not dwell in "temples made with hands" {Acts 7:48}.   So, do you still believe that the creator of all we see can indeed be limited to a certain building or area?  Good luck with that.  Yet, as we file into Gods house each sunday there are those who continue to believe that they are the elect few who are in our Lords  good graces.  I used to wonder what God thought of all of my friends who made no secret of the fact that they did not feel obligated to attend church each week.  Oh, I would often pray over them that God would find it in His heart to forgive their trespasses and return these lost sheep into the Shepherds fold.  In my mind, it was these lost souls who had ignored the Lord.  It turns out that it was I who could have learned something from them.

26For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Galations 3: 26 - 28 NKJV

I can't remember when I started to see the church from the cheap seats, but it wasn't too long after my mothers illness.  By "cheap seats" I mean that I started seeing church from the outside looking in.  Yes, I have become one of the wandering flock who may have somehow forsaken God and stopped gathering with the Lords elect on sundays.  I still run into friends from the church who tell me that they continue to pray over me that God will forgive me and lead me back into fellowship in Gods house.  Forgive me?  Do they know of some secret sin I've commited by not attending church?  Is God mad at me?  If He is then I would be the first one to fall on my knees and beg His forgiveness.  I'm not proud enough to admit when I am wrong.  Then again, what sin is there that has not already been covered by the blood of Christ at the cross?  It's funny, but instead of the guilt I was so sure that I would feel within myself by not attending church, I suddenly felt a freedom I have never felt before.  By seeing church from the cheap seats, I have come into a relationship with Christ Jesus which I never heard talked about among Gods flock in Gods house.  By looking at church from these cheap seats, I have come to the realization of my life in Christ Jesus {Galations 2:20}.  I have come to the realization that my faith and salvation does not depend on the sunday church services I miss but on my faith in Christ Jesus.  There is no sermon or church that can get me a pass into heaven.  I cannot work my way into my own salvation {Ephesians 2:8}.  I will say that the view from the cheap seats is far better than from the front row.

8For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God,9not of works, lest anyone should boast. 10For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2: 8 - 10 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: