Saturday, July 7, 2018

Daddy



18‘I will arise and go to my father, and will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you, 19“and I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Make me like one of your hired servants.” ’ 20“And he arose and came to his father. But when he was still a great way off, his father saw him and had compassion, and ran and fell on his neck and kissed him. 21“And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight, and am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ 22“But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. 23‘And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; 24‘for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ And they began to be merry."
Luke 15: 18 - 24 NKJV

I was thinking the other day of a old M*A*S*H episode I had not seen in a long time.  In this episode, the elite Charles Winchester had commented to one of his fellow doctors, "where I had a father...you had a dad."  This got me to thinking, what could he possibly meant by this off the cuff statement?  I mean, aren't a father and a dad pretty much the same?  Perhaps.  However, for those who have experienced the difference between the two it's quite obvious.  I'm one of those lucky few.  See, I see a father as one who fulfills all of the duties of fatherhood set before him.  He guides, leads and provides for his children just as he should, but yet there is something missing.  Yes, the child will grow up having known a father and provider, but may be lacking in other areas.  See, one can work all of his life providing for his children and yet never come close to knowing them.  So it was with my father.  Growing up in a single parent home, I came to realize pretty quickly the differences between a father and a dad.  I remember the happy times spent with my best friends family as I grew up.  I don't think of my friends family as the family I never had, I already had that.  No, this second family was more of a example of what a family should be.  I have no doubt that my heavenly Father placed them in my life for this very reason.  See, I could have lamented having been raised in a broken home, but in my friends family I found a happiness and stableness in my younger years.  It is here where I also found out what a dad truly is.  See, a dad is one who not only accomplishes the traditional duties of the father, but is one who is also more involved emotionaly in the lives of his children.

1Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of aGod! Therefore the world does not know bus, because it did not know Him. 2Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.
1 John 3: 1 - 2 NKJV

Over the past few years I have been privy to a unique relationship between a coworker of mine and his own children.  Now, some time ago I would have sworn up and down that this man was a prime candadite to be a father.  I have seen his bad side and the way he often spoke to his family.  Then something happened.  Over the past few years this man has grown more into the role of a dad.  Where there was once anger, now there is patience and advice for his own children.  Whether it is the passage of time or simply a more mature attitude, he is now more likely to give fatherly advice and wisdom than criticism.  By his own admission, his early years were not too pleasant in his dealings with people.  I can honestly say that I have seen him at his worst.  This is why I was surprised to see such a turn around in his own life.  I can't proclaim that I have had anything to do with this transformation, but we have had more than a few discussions on the truth of Christ in us {Galations 2:20}.  I would be the first one to give glory to Jesus for any revelation my friend would receive of the truth of Christ.  I would say that he is making the transition from a father...to a dad.
I have a dear friend who I used to attend church with who, to my amazement, took to refering to God as "daddy."  Why was I so dumbfounded by this?  Simple, look at my own childhood.  I had a father who would occasionaly show up and make a attempt at being  a dad...and often fail.  I did not know the true meaning of that term of endearment we often bestow upon our fathers.  I was too young to know my true Father.  My one and only Father who calls me son.  He is my daddy.

No comments: