Saturday, April 13, 2019

A Ministry Of Relationships



 10For do I now persuade men, or God? Or do I seek to please men? For if I still pleased men, I would not be a bondservant of Christ.
Galations 1: 10 NKJV

One of the buzzwords I continue to see from churches these days is commuity.  In community, there is interaction.  In community, there is harmony in Christ.  Well, in a perfect world there would be.  The trouble is, we don't live in a perfect world.  No, we live in a world dominated by our Lords creation who, for better or worse, has that freedom to exercise his freedom to choose.  With those choices often comes some unintended consequences such as hurt feelings, arrogance and individualism.  There are times where the very enemy of this thing we call community are those choices we make.  My first taste of community was at a church of former attendance.  It was here that I was intoduced to (alleged) christian community.  Not that my community experince was all negative, as I still continue a few friendships to this day.  However, I soon found out that the freedom of community came with more than a few rules.  Also, it seems that in this community that Jesus kind of took a back seat to whatever the feel good message the pastor had preached on sunday.  I get it.  If I hadn't known better, I would have sworn that community was simply a extension of the sunday service for those who missed it.  I'm sorry, but this just isn't the community that I've come to know.  Beleive me, it's not the community that Jesus and His disciples practiced either.  Throughout His ministry, these men traveled with Jesus throughout Isreal as He spoke His message.  From the fireside to the city square, Jesus' disciples learned the true meaning of community as they walked with Him.  One thing we might miss as we see Jesus' ministry of community played out is the lack of anything church.  That's right, Jesus wasn't about supplimenting His ministry with more institutional legalism.  No, this was Jesus and His guys sharing life along the way.  That, by the way, is the definition of a ministry of community.

44Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, 45and sold their possessions and goods, and dividedp them among all, as anyone had need. 46So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, 47praising God and having favor with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44 - 47 NKJV

Well, if anyone is interested in my idea of community I'll galdly tell you.  Community is just as the name implies, believers coming together and sharing life in the name of Christ.  I find it funny, but the old church potluck lunches I attended as a kid had more to do with community than most of what churches call community today.  Everyone was welcome and the conversation was often more centered on life than church or sermons.  I once asked a good friend of mine how wonderful it would be if we could return to the community of believers that we see from the early church in Acts 2.  His response made sense, for in order for this to happen there would need to be some radical society changes to occur.  Think about it, would the type of community we see from the early church work today?  Maybe, but I think it could be done.  I also think that a ministry of true community could be successful in its own right.  I've seen first hand over the past few years how a mens ministry with community in mind has grown and developed relationships.  We don't boast church services, fancy buildings or sermons.  However, what we do enjoy is our fellowship, community and coming together as a group of believers.  After all, that's what it's all about right?  Believers coming together in His name to enjoy life together.  Yeah, I think that could work today.  One thing that Jesus was big on was relationship.  Not only our relationship with Him, but with each other as well.  It is Jesus who called on His followers to love one another {John 13:34}.  How many of us are really into that?  Speaking for myself, there are definately those I've come across that I'd rather not talk to.  How would that work in community?  Well, this is where we need to put ourselves aside and look at the bigger picture.  See, community doesn't do too well with divisions in the ranks.  However, once we look beyond ourselves the real meaning of community will open up before us.  I may not like you, but Jesus loves you the same as He loves me.  Community isn't about coming together as individuals, but as fellow hearts in Christ. 

34“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35“By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
John 13: 34 - 35 NKJV

~Scott~





No comments: