Saturday, April 20, 2019

If Not For Jesus



24When Pilate saw that he could not prevail at all, but rather that a tumult was rising, he took water and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, “I am innocent of the blood of this just Person. You see to it.”25And all the people answered and said, “His blood be on us and on our children.”26Then he released Barabbas to them; and when he had scourged Jesus, he delivered Him to be crucified.
Matthew 25: 24 - 26 NKJV

I saw a video this week of a midwestern family who were joyfully prepping for easter by trotting down the very path which Jesus Himself walked, or crawled, on the way to His death on the cross.  Someone long ago named this route the Via Dolorosa (Way of suffering).  Now, I've often thought to myself how meaningful it would be to me personaly to walk the steps which Jesus walked on His way to that Roman cross.  What a way to connect with the memory of Jesus, right?  I've known a few friends who have traveled to the holy land for the very purpose of walking where jesus walked.  I get it.  The thing is, if I were indeed to take that trip to retrace the steps of Christ, I may just find myself in the midst of some major deja vu.  Yes, despite the fact that I've never been to the homeland of Jesus, I have a feeling that I've already been there and done that.  Others might look at me and, as Mary proclaimed to the angel of the Lord, "how can this be?"  How could a man who has never been to a country say that he's been there?  Well, if I simply go by what the apostle Paul tells me, it's an easy call.  For it is Paul who tells us that each and every one of us was on the cross with Jesus that day.  Yes, I died with Jesus.  Now, I wouldn't blame anyone who would read this bold statement and suddenly come to the conclusion that my mind was somehow skewed.  I think that Paul himself got that very same reaction in his day.  Yet, there it is in the book of Romans.  Paul lays it out pretty clearly that it was my "old man" who was nailed to that cross with Jesus to suffer my own death {Romans6:6}.  I bear those same wounds Jesus suffered.

6knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.  7For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV

There is a brother in our circle who holds pretty steadfastly to the rules and regulations of the scripture which he reads.  Despite there being numerous scriptures which support what Jesus has done for me, he will point out other verses which seem to convince me I am mistaken.  That being said, this brother refused to believe my trust in my own heart that I have indeed been crucified with Jesus {Galations 2:20}.  The reason I bring this up is that it is the very same reaction I had when a good friend first introduced me to the truth of Christ Jesus in me.  How could this be?  I mean, wouldn't I remember such a life changing event?  I don't remember dying nonetheless ever meeting Jesus.  However, in my heart I know this now to be true of my life.  Now, to those who would scoff at my own revelation I offer this.  Remember that it was my "old man" that died with Jesus.  That old man who, as we're told in scripture, was a man of sin from the begining {Romans 3:23}.  Indeed, all have sinned and fallen far short of our Lords glory, which is exactly why we were in need of Christ Jesus to become sin in our place {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  Were it not for Jesus and His sacrafice, all  hope would be lost.  If I were indeed a sinner as scripture tells me, what hope would there be for me if not for Jesus?  Yet this was not Gods plan for my life.  I do not argue that we were all born with a sin nature.  However, what I will say is that the old Scott no longer exists.  He died long ago and has been replaced by the man Christ Jesus.  The fact that I needed to be put to death is without question, my own heritage guaranteed that.  However, the reality that I now live a life far removed the man I used to be is the reason for my joy.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: