Saturday, April 6, 2019

God In The Spotlight



14How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace, Who bring glad tidings of good things!”16But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “LORD, who has believed our report?”17So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
Romans 10: 14 - 17 NKJV 

My mother was a big fan of Jim Baker in his heyday.  I remember her watching him on tv growing up.  More than once I can recall her telling me "That is a man of God."  I also remember how disapointed she was the day that this man of God came crashing back to earth amidst allegations of infidelity.  For me, it just seemed like another minister who had gotten too hig for his britches.  His ministry had become more about him than what he set out to do, which was speak the gospel.  On the other hand, the late Billy Graham seemed to hold true to his calling throughout his own life.  Granted, both of these men would claim that they were following their calling, but only one fulfilled it as I see it.  Although I've never been involved in that spotlight of a national ministry, I'm sure that the pressures are intense.  I will say this, the day that your ministry becomes more about you and whatever program you're teaching and less about the truth of Christ Jesus is the day you need to question if you're doing the right thing.  Don't get me wrong, I really believe that we need more people who are willing to speak out on the truth of Christ Jesus.  What is that truth?  The same truth which Paul speaks to in Galations.  The truth of Christ in us {Galations 2:20}.  I believe in my heart that we need more people to speak this truth because more and more ministries are not speaking it.  Instead, we hear a regurgitation of what so many pulpit pounders are saying each and every sunday.  This might be fine and good for most, but there's more to Jesus than the traditional story we're told.  Indeed, there is our own personal relationship with Him.  Tell me, what do you think Jesus' reaction would be if you were the star of the show and not Him?  If event after event your focus was on you and your program of teaching Christ?  Well, in my mind you would be missing the point.  To be clear, there is a difference between taking the lead in speaking Christ to others and making yourself and your program the focus of your discussion.  I could speak the truth of Christ in me all day long.  However, the moment I began placing myself and my teachings in that spotlight then I am robbing Christ of the honor He deserves.  Honestly, am I independent from He who created me?  Not at all.  Yet there are many believers who have fallen hook line and sinker for the false narative of the deceiver.  The same deceiver who convinced Eve that she could "Be like God" {Genesis 3:5}.  This is the false narative of the accuser, that we alone are independent from God.  

1Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone out into the world.2By this you know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is of God, 3and every spirit that does not confess athat Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is not of God. And this is the spirit of the Antichrist, which you have heard was coming, and is now already in the world. 4You are of God, little children, and have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
1 John 4: 1 - 4 NKJV 

I really believe that if I had that platform from which to speak Christ unto others that it would be difficult for me to keep the focus off of myself and where it belongs.  I am, after all, human with my many failings.  I say that it would be difficult, but not impossible.  It is here where I feel that many pastors and ministry speakers get tripped up.  Their focus becomes more on whatever program they are teaching than the true focus of their calling.  They tout assemblies, larger congregations and carefully choregraphed presentations instead of speaking and leading discussions on Jesus.  My question would be this, what is the true purpose of your calling?  If your goal is anything but speaking Christ to others then you're probably in the wrong business.  Forget the fancy window dressing, well planned lectures and the desire to be the head of any discussion.  For me, a simple gathering where the conversation centers on Christ is a wonderful ministry tool.  Did Jesus use a well planned out schedule when He spoke on the mount of Olives that day?  Did He send out invitations to His big event?  NO!  In Jesus we had a man who spoke simply in a way that those around Him could understand.  Many today call them parables, but it was simply Jesus' way of teaching others of the kingdom of His Father.  Wherever He went, He spoke of the kingdom of the Lord.  Large crowds followed Him to hear His every word.  Jesus did all of this without a single introduction or teaching schedule.  So it should be with our own discussions of Christ.  Leaderless, unplanned and in the moment.  

~Scott~ 

No comments: