Tuesday, April 30, 2019

The Strength Test

Not getting lost at Wolf Creek

 29“Or how can one enter a strong man’s house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? And then he will plunder his house. 30“He who is not with Me is against Me, and he who does not gather with Me scatters abroad.

I recall a scripture quote from a friend of mine from a few years back of how one cannot enter a strong mans house unless he first subdues the strong man.  Of course, my friends quote was in reference to a certain southern California college football team and how good they were at the time, but I think this verse holds true for us today.  Do we really know how strong we are?  I'm talking physical and emotional strength here.  Every now and then we hear a story of someone who overcame whatever obstacles were in front of them to persevere in their endeavor.  Each year, here in Oregon, we hear of more than a few brave souls who somehow lose their way in the Oregon wilderness and end up none the worse for wear.  Now, I'll tell you, I've hiked a few of our Oregon trails and there are parts of the Oregon wilderness that are no joke.  I know a man who purchased some fancy GPS locator device for when he and his sons go hiking and camping...smart man.  Yet, what makes a strong man?  Is it  our own physical strength which powers us through all we come across?  Maybe, but I believe there is something to be said for the man who thinks his way through a tough situation as well.  So sets up the classic battle...brains or brawn?  Consider the man Jesus, was He Himself a strong man?  Well, most would say that Jesus was lowly and meek.  Perhaps, but remember that all through His lifes challanges He could at any time called upon legions of angels to deliver Him from whatever it was He was facing.  As Nathanial said of the man Jesus, "can anything good come out of Nazareth?"  Indeed it can!  So, how strong are you?  I'll tell you that the apostle Paul, not being counted among the worlds strongest, definately knew where his own strength came from.  For, according to Paul, he could do anything "Through Christ who strengthens me."  Paul didn't read about this in some self help book, but came to his realization through the revelation of the Father in his own life.  We might very well ask ourselves, what is it that I can do through Christ Jesus?  Well, I think that the possibilities are endless.  

13I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4: 13 NKJV 

Not too long ago, I was in conversation with a friend of mine who offered a unique take on the words of Paul we find in Philippians 4:13.  Instead of assuring ourselves that we can indeed do all things through Christ Jesus, let us instead proclaim that Christ IS our strength.  More importantly, Christ IN US is our source of strength.  Again, it is Paul who assures us that this view of Jesus is at all possible.  It is Paul who proclaims that it is Christ who lives on today in those who trust in Him {Galations 2:20}.  So, when we procalim that Christ is our strength, we are speaking the truth.  Everything we see and experience in our daily lives, we do as Christ Jesus who lives on in us.  Therefore, whatever obstacles which we may encounter in our lives, and there will be many, we can confidently say that by the strength of Christ Jesus in us we have the strength to see it through until the end.  That is, we have the strength of Christ Jesus to see us through.  Believe me, Jesus will never discriminate that the trials we are facing  are too big or small for Him to handle.  That's not who Jesus is.  There have been plenty of times where I thought that I had failed my own spiritual strength test.  However, I came to the realization that I was thinking about it all wrong.  Echoing the words of Paul, I would acknowledge the promises of Jesus then tell Him, Jesus "I" can do all of these things with you.  No, THROUGH Christ Jesus I can persevere.  It is only through Christ in us where we gather our own strength to tackle what it is we are facing.  I've never seen a challange that Jesus backed down from.  

43The following day Jesus wanted to go to Galilee, and He found Philip and said to him, “Follow Me.”44Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. 45Philip found Nathanael and said to him, “We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote—Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph.”46And Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?”Philip said to him, “Come and see.”
John 1: 43 - 46 NKJV 

~Scott~ 

No comments: