Wednesday, May 1, 2019

No Apologies



 22that you put off, concerning your former conduct, the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, 23and be renewed in the spirit of your mind, 24and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true righteousness and holiness.
Ephesians 4: 22 - 24 NKJV

But, he seemed so righteous.  Those were my thoughts some years ago when a good friend suggested that our praise and worship band warm up for their sunday morning service by playing a few selected rock songs.  Were these the thoughts of a devout christian?  Absolutely!  There have been more than a few christians I've fellowshipped with who have asked the very same question about me.  How can Scott be a christian and yet still act that way?  Well, I'm not sorry.  There, I said it.  The fact is, there are far too many God fearing people out there who put on a outward display of wild and rambunctious behavior.  Would anyone have beleived that rocker Ted Nugent was a christian?  Me either.  It seems that following Jesus carries with it a  expectation of behaving in a certain way.  Turn that other cheek, never utter bad words...blah blah blah.  While I agree that it is by our fruits that those around us will know that we are followers of Christ, I also understand that we are all human.  Not only human, but created in the image of our heavenly Father.  There have even been a few friends I've known that have suggested that I should have a weekly confession of my unchristian like deeds.  Like I said, I'm not sorry.  For beneath this rough, sometimes vulgar exterior is the heart of a man who walks in Christ Jesus.  How can this be?  Well, despite the reality that I am lovingly created in the image of the Father comes the fact that I am all that He is.  That is, as God has that freedom to choose, so does man, His most prized creation.  So, was I created to act the way that I do?  Some would say certainly not.  They see God as holy, righteous and without fault.  They're right.  They see Christ as meek, loving and loyal.  Again, they're correct in their assumption.  Yet, there were times when even the man Jesus allowed His human emotions to come through for all to see.  Jesus cried {John 11:35}.  Jesus even showed His own anger {John 2:16}.  Many a christian will acknowledge this human side of Jesus yet still condemn me for acting the way which I do.  I offer no apologies.  After all, I am all which Christ is.  That's right all you christian behavior police, I resemble Christ who lives in me.  I have His image, His heredity, everything. 

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV

So, am I just a bad seed from the family of God?  Hardly.  Do I, as a child of my heavenly Father, have that unlimited freedom to act whichever way I choose to?  Of course, if I wanted to be a total jerk.  I would simply say that, as Christ before me, there are those times when I allow my human nature (flesh) to come shining through.  Of course, it is in these moments that I forget the man who I really am.  I'm not that rough talking dude whom I sometimes portray.  All one needs to do is seek those attributes of Christ Jesus which they find so endearing and they will see who I was lovingly created to be.  The apostle Paul, in Galations, assures us that that old man we once were no longer exists.  Jesus now resides in that place he once occupied.  He is no more {Romans 6:6}.  So, where does all of this bad behavior come from?  If it's not from our old man, who is it from?  Who do we blame?  Well, if we're going to play the blame game, then the fault eventually ends with God, the image in which I am created.  There isn't a single cell of my being which God did not know about.  He gathered the dust from the ground and breathed into it the breath of life {Genesis 2:7}.  Now, did God create me to act the way which I do?  That's a matter up for debate, but if He lovingly created me we have to assume that He knew everything about me before time even began.  Being that I was created with the unique ability among Gods creation to make my own choices, I can understand why it is that we sometimes do what we do.  Trust me, we all make some pretty bad choices every now and then.  I, more than anyone, should know that to be true.  Still, I refuse to apologize.  If you're really looking to ask as to why I do those things I do...take some time and ask God why it is that He created me this way.  I already know. 

6knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be adone away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.  7For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11Likewise you also, creckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: