Sunday, May 19, 2019

Open Door Policy



1My brethren, let not many of you become teachers, knowing that we shall receive a stricter judgment.
James 3: 1 NKJV

I've spent a lot of time getting to know pastors in the churches I've attended.  One of my dearest friends once counted himself as a pastor in the ranks.  There was a time, before I came to my senses, that I even considered the pastoral road as a career path.  Not that being a pastor is bad, for I see it as one of the worlds endearing professions.  No, my disdain does not lie with what pastors have done to us...but what we have done to those in the pastoral ministry.  One of the comments I get today when I ask others about their opinions on their own pastor it is usually positive, except for one thing.  Most people today see their own pastor(s) as being too busy with their profession.  I get it.  After all, they carry a great deal of responsibility in their jobs.  They are called upon to be the spiritual guide, counselor, advisor and confidant to the entire congregation.  As you might think, that is not an easy task to say the least.  I remember more than a few padres I've met telling me that they always have a "open door policy" not only with those in their own congregation, but in the surrounding community as well.  A pastor might feel as if he has a open door policy, but one certainly must go through his schedule keeper in order to gain entrance.  Again, I get it.  So, what is it that we have done that is so detrimental to those i the ministry?  Well, in my opinion, we've shackled them not only with the responsibilities of shepherding a flock, but with running a business as well.  That business being whatever church he is representing.  As you may recognize, Gods church was never meant to compete with fortune 500 companies.  This is part of the burden of being a pastor.  You are inevitably tied to the financial bottom line of the church.  I recall a well known pastor more than a few years ago who used the coffers of his congregation as his personal checking account.  This was my first introduction into just how much money comes through a large church congregation.  All you need do is google the largest churches in America and take a look at their yearly income.  It really is an eye opener.  It was enough of an eye opener to convince me that I wanted no part of that business. 

14How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15And how shall they preach unless they are sent?
Romans 14: 14 - 15 NKJV

So, how is it that the masses will hear the word if not from a preacher?  Well, I think that there are many examples of those who have come to the Lord without the aid of a pastor.  I did.  However, my own beliefs were fostered by my own parents.  What of those who have not been raised with a belief in God?  Day after day we are witness to those among us who are crying out for something more.  Who am I?  Why am I here?  Where is God?  Does He even know me?  These are some of the questions I've asked myself over the years.  Over time I've come to find the answers to these questions.  I believe that it is the role of the pastor to help those around him find their answers to these questions as well.  After all, who better to seek advice on God than from one who has devoted their life to learning about Him?  I feel that we are far better off with our pastors on the front lines of lifes battles than in boardroom meetings and leadership conferences.  If there is someone out there who can locate the scriptures that our churches need to be run like a business please enlighten me.  We all recall the reaction of Jesus to the money changers in the temple.  Well, what were these money changers doing but selling animals for a worthy sacrafice to the Lord in the temple.  Jesus knew that this was wrong, and we should too.  Those money changers never went away, they've just been replaced by church book stores and other retail establishments.  It's no wonder that we often need to book a appointment with the man who claims to have a open door policy.  The disservice we have done to those in the pastoral field is that we have made it more about the bottom line than those they serve.  I think that God is more interested in spreading the truth of Christ Jesus than making sure a ledger evens out.

~Scott~

No comments: