Sunday, May 5, 2019

The Best I've Got



19Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? 20For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
1 Corinthians 6: 19 - 20 NKJV

Everyone knows that people can say some pretty hurtfull things.  Yes, even I can go off of the rails sometimes and lash out.  Of course, being a christian should not make our words that hurt others any more or less justifed.  Once again, I discovered this week just how hurtfull that those around us can be.  However, something about this interaction surprised me.  As I reflected on it I realized that most of the sting which I used to feel when others talked bad about me was gone, and I know why.  The truth is, I know that those words that others try to put into my head are simply not true.  I already know that man that I am.  For anyone who would look at the man I have become and yet still be critical my response to them would be simple, this is the best I've got.  Well, to be honest, I am the best of Christ Jesus.  My life in Christ is not meant to deflect the words of others, but to remind me of the man I really am.  I am reminded of the man I am by the words of the apostle Paul.  It is Paul who, in Galations, reminded all who would listen of just who we are.  For it is now Christ Jesus who lives through me {Galations 2:20}.  So, yes, I am the best of Christ Jesus in the flesh.  This truly is...the best I've got.  As I said, a life in Christ is much more than a feel good remedy to deflect the words of those around us.  My life in Jesus is the freedom I have to celebrate and worship Him on my terms.  My life in Jesus is my freedom in knowing that I no longer need to compete for the Fathers love and attention.  Those days are gone now.  For most of my life I lived within a system where I was expected to perform at my best to make God happy.  If I tithed enough, prayed my hardest and went without then maybe God would happy with me.  Of course, that acceptance was never guaranteed, as I was always encouraged to pray continually for Gods forgiveness for whatever sins I might have commited.  Never mind the fact that Jesus Himself became sin that I would not suffer for them {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  It was never Gods intention for us to suffer through life in repentance for the sins which Christ bled and gave His life for.  As Jesus proclaimed on that cross..."IT IS FINISHED!" 

4“And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. 5“But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him! 6“Are not five sparrows sold for two copper coins? And not one of them is forgotten before God.7“But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows."
Luke 12: 4 - 7 NKJV

I was thinking this week on just how many times in the scriptures that we see the question "what can man do to me?"  To me this question has a more personal meaning.  Despite the words and actions of those around me, what is it that man can do to me?  After all, I am the best of all which is Christ.  I am lovingly created in His image {Genesis 1:27}.  I am a child of God {Galations 3:26}.  What is it that man can do to me?  After all, I know in my heart just where my future lies.  I have a dear friend who has a saying.  When satan reminds you of your past...remind him of his future!  How appropriate!  We know that our accuser roams the earth seeking whom of our Fathers children he might devour {1 Peter 5:8}.  I am not naive enough to believe that satan cannot use those around me as pawns to attack me.  Of course, that man which they say I am has never even existed.  It's not who I am.  It is, if nothing else, the words of the accuser.  There has never been an instance when God has whispered to me that I wasn't good enough, that I'm not worthy.  That isn't what He does.  For if He were to use His own words to condemn me, would He not also condemn Christ who is in me?  We can learn a lot by filtering our thoughts through the filter of Jesus.  Is Jesus unworthy?  Is Jesus unloved?  Does Jesus need to perform to achieve the Fathers love?  Of course, the answer to these questions is NO.  Therefore, if I, being Christ have been created in His perfect image...what can man do to me?  You can say anything you want to...but this is the best I've got. 

I keep fighting voices in my mind that say I’m not enough
Every single lie that tells me I will never measure up
Am I more than just the sum of every high and every low?
Remind me once again just who I am, because I need to know
~You Say~
Lauren Daigle

~Scott~

No comments: