Friday, April 5, 2019

Good Morning Jesus



Well good morning JESUS
Yes it's me again
But I didn't call this time to get
Forgiveness for my sins
I called to talk to MAMA
And I know she's there with you
If there's a PHONE in Heaven
Then JESUS put me through
~Mike Manuel~ 

I got into a discussion with a friend this week about Jesus as we know Him.  Jesus as we see Him.  Now, granted that some people may see Jesus differently than I do.  I get it.  I know a man who sees Jesus as one who is far removed from him, seperated from him by heaven and earth.  The thing is, he will point out scriptures all day long to justify his own beliefs.  Is this the life that Jesus wanted for those that followed Him?  Again, I would say no, but there are those who will argue to the contrary.  Up until a few years ago, my own view of Jesus was one where He was removed from my everyday life as He looked down upon me from heaven.  Even my friend will admit that he was taught this seperation theology.  It is this theology that continues to be taught in the institutional churches we frequent.  My question is this, what does this seperation theology teach us about relationship with Christ Jesus?  Yes, it is possible to have a relationship with the one who died on the cross for you so long ago.  I would also go out on a limb to say that THIS is the life which Jesus desired for His followers.  Not a life of waiting for Him, but a life IN Him.  In His prayer in the garden, Jesus asked the Father that we would be one as He and the Father are one.  It wasn't that long ago where I could not ever imagine being one with Christ.  Yet, that is what we are told in His word.  We are told that we are His children {Romans 8:16}, we are His inheritance {Romans 8:17} and that we are one with Him {John 17:21}.  I have a feeling that most pulpit pounders have missed these scriptures entirely or for their own reasons choose not to teach the gospel of who Jesus truly is.  This was the Jesus I knew for most of my life.  That Jesus who sat in heaven next to the Father, far removed from me so it seemed.  Can you imagine my shock one sunday when I heard a friend refer to Jesus as daddy?  We're not talking about daddy in a casual way either, this man really believed that he had a close relationship with Christ.  This was my first introduction to a new way of seeing Christ.  One I could really relate to.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.
John 17: 20 - 24 NKJV 

I heard a song recently where the singer expressed exactly how it is that I used to see Jesus.  This singer asked Jesus, if it was possible, that He would let him talk to his mother once again.  Now, what made this song so powerful to me is because I also lost my mother a few years ago and still miss her.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has had that reaction to this song.  In fact, I've asked Jesus that very same question since the passing of my own mother.  The only difference is, I now know in my heart that I have a personal relationship with my Lord and Savior.  That prayer of Christ in the garden has been answerd.  The apostle Paul writes to us in Galations that as followers of Jesus we perished with Him at the cross.  Not only that, but it is Jesus Himself who lives through us today {Galations 2:20}.  I will say that there is freedom in the Jesus I know now.  I am no longer chasing a hope that, if I'm worthy enough, that I will someday be with Him.  My life is not one of repeated attempts at righteousness in order to be with Jesus.  I'm already there.  There is nothing I could ever do to reach the level of goodness which Jesus has displayed.  We were never intended to live that way.  From the moment the Father breathed into me the breath of life, He presence was already in me {Genesis 2:7}.  Yes, even in those times where I thought that He was so far away, He was there.  It is comforting to know that even when I believed that Jesus wasn't there...He was.  That is what I would tell anyone who is seeking the man Jesus.  He's always been there...He's waiting for you.   

~Scott~ 

No comments: