Saturday, January 4, 2020

Mind Games



If then you were raised with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ is, siting at the right hand of God.  Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.  for you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.  When Christ who is your life appears, then you will also appear with Him in glory.
Colossians 3: 1 - 4 NKJV

There's a battle going on for the beliefs of those who know the truth of Christ.  That is, for those who know the truth of Christ Jesus in us.  That battle, as we're told in Ephesians, is not against anything which we can see, but a spiritual battle against those entities in the heavens.  Each day we receive differing opinions of who it is we are and what our future holds for us.  For example, I know in my own heart that Christ lives in me.  However, despite my old man who I once was now being dead, I still carry thoughts of his existence from time to time.  This reminds me of the numerous stories of phantom limb syndrome, where someone who has been injured and lost a limb can continue to feel it as if nothing had happened.  Yes, I know that Jesus lives in me, but mind is a powerful tool used by the accuser to make us feel as if we're still in the clutches of the old mans sins.  These are the mind games which Satan plays with each of us from time to time.  Once we understand his motives and his tactics, however, we can refute whatever he has to say.  A good friend of mine has a saying, when Satan reminds you of your past, remind him of his future!  No more truthful words were ever spoken.  From his beginnings, satan has been the accuser of the brethren.  He has accused Adam and Eve, Job and now he spends his time speaking lies unto us.  It's funny, we will all too often refute another persons lies when we see them, but satan gets a pass.  Well, not in my book.  For I know his past and his full intentions.  He desires not to see me prosper in the presence of Jesus, but continually speak to me to pull me away from Him.  Not gonna happen.  These are the mind games of satan.  These are the suggestions of the enemy.  The apostle Paul reminds us in Colossians to prepare ourselves by setting our minds on things above and not of those things of the earth.  Remember, we've died to our old nature (I cannot in good conscience say we've died to our old self as we've never been a independent self) and are now a new creation in Christ Jesus {2 Corinthians 5:17}.

For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual host of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Ephesians 6: 12 NKJV

Part of our training as good Christian soldiers is to realize who our enemy truly is.  Many believers can point to who that is and yet fail to realize that he can and will disguise himself in ways which they do not recognize.  For example, can we agree that any and all negative situations which cause us distress actually pass by God before they reach us?  I'm sure that Job didn't see the calamity which beset his life, even as satan plotted against him.  Yet, what were Gods instructions to satan as he sought to destroy job?     God allows satan to afflict Job, but gives him specific instructions to spare his servants life {Job 2:6}.  What did Job do to God that God would allow satan to afflict him in such a way?  Nothing!  Satan was simply doing what he always does to Gods elect.  I know in my heart that Christ is in me, but I am under no illusions that satan does not play a role in our lives on a daily basis.  Wouldn't it be foolish to even think such a thing?  By the law of opposites we can see exactly what satans purpose truly is.  Would you ever know light if not for darkness?  Bitterness without sweetness?  Indeed satan, being the exact opposite of God in his nature, through his own actions shows us the loving self for others nature of God.  Yes, that's the way satan was created.  Indeed he is our spiritual enemy, yet even satan was created by God as we were.  For some time I wondered for what exact purpose which God would speak into creation one such as satan, until I learned of the law of opposites.  Would we ever know the goodness of God if not for evil?  I still hear the voices of the minions of old as they try to entice me back into my old ways.  However, I also know that Christ has died once for all to ensure that part of my life no longer exists.  I'm dead to that.  Of course, that doesn't mean that our accuser will give up trying to influence us.

~Scott~


No comments: