Monday, January 20, 2020

When It Pleases God



But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mothers womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the gentiles.
Galatians 1: 15 - 16 NKJV

I'm asked on occasion how it is that I came to know the truth of Christ Jesus in me.  Honestly, I'm really not sure that I can place a date or time to narrow down just when I came to this realization.  One thing I can do, however, is provide bookends to my own realization by telling of my life before and after my experience.  Before I came to know Jesus in me, my Christian life was just that, a Christian life.  Each day was a duty, behave well and do good to please God lest He become upset and somehow "test" me with His power.  I would all too often hear that phrase in church on a Sunday morning as I talked to friends about some situation life was throwing my way.  Inevitably, someone would shake their finger at me and proclaim, "God's testing you, what did you do?"  Immediately I was somehow guilty of upsetting God in some way.  What happens when you make God mad?  Well, from my experience, He sends trials and turmoil your way until you straighten up and do things His way.  This is the image of God I've carried with me a good part of my life.  In fact, I would guess that many a Christian carries this image of God in some way.  Why?  Is this how God wants to be known by His children?  No, but this is exactly how the mainstream church will tell us that God is.  See, God is there in heaven watching over us, waiting to deal out His judgement upon us when we screw up.  Why wouldn't we feel this way?  Wasn't it God who became angry with the Israelites, His chosen people?  Wasn't it God who sent the flood to wipe out all who would not follow Him?  Of course, we're talking about the old testament there.  As you might guess, times were different back then.  So, this is the teaching of God that we've grown up with.  We've spent many a Sunday school class singing songs of how we should see Him.  We do, in fact, see God as being separate from our own lives.  Is this how God wants to be known?  If you were God, would you want to be known as one who was separated from the children you loved?  I know I wouldn't.  Yet this is what we're taught time and again.  Can you see where it is we get this version of how God is?  I'll often tell my pastor friend that we're fighting thousands of years of church teachings in our efforts to tell of the truth of Christ Jesus in us.  Is it any wonder why it is so difficult for others to understand this concept?

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galatians 2: 20 NKJV

Now that I've told how it was before I heard of the truth of Christ in me, I can relate how it is now that I've had my own revelation.  Of course, this revelation is not one that turns on like a light switch.  One might find himself wondering over and over as to the validity of this truth.  I'm sure that the apostle Paul had some of the very same questions over this that I myself have asked.  One thing that we're not told about Paul's conversion on that Damascus road is what occurred afterward.  How is it that he came to the realization that Christ was in fact in him as he tells us in Galatians?  Well, we know that after his Damascus road experience that Paul spent a good amount of time off in the desert.  I have no doubt that it was here that he not only received more revelations from God, but more teaching as well.  I just wish that the scriptures told us more about Paul's journey.  Nevertheless, we're left with his description of the living presence of God.  Of course, this fly's in the face of much of the church teaching about who Jesus is.  To me, Jesus is more than a dead guy with a good legacy.  To me, Jesus is my life.  To me, Jesus is my being.  He is all that I am.  It is Jesus who is all in all {Colossians 3:11}.  If there is one word that I can use to describe my new life in Christ Jesus, it would be freedom.  Free from the rituals and traditions which the mainstream church has adopted over the years.  Free of that narrative that proclaims Jesus as a disciplinarian rather than a loving God.  Above all, freedom from striving to do good that I "might" find favor with God.  The truth is, we've already found favor with Him long ago.  It is His love for us that led Him to not only save us but to provide for His children to live in unity with Him {John 17:21}.  I'm still waiting to hear that message from any church pulpit.

Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all in all.
Colossians 3: 11 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: