Sunday, January 19, 2020

Space For Rent



And besides that they learn to be idle, wandering about from house to house, and not only idle but gossips and busybodies, saying things which they ought not.
1 Peter 5: 13 NKJV

There was a coworker of mine some years ago who once shared some sage advise to me regarding those we happened to work with.  As we talked one night she told me, "I don't let these people rent space in my head."  How prophetic those words were not only at the time in my life, but today as well.  For if there is one thing as Christians, and non Christians alike, that we share in common is that we all are at one time or another subjected to the thoughts and opinions of those around us.  It is how we use this input from others that may in the end save us many a hurt feeling.  If we accept the opinions from others for what they are, opinions, we can save ourselves a lot of grief.  However, if we take these opinions of those around us as a basis of how it is we see ourselves, then we're headed down the wrong road.  For the longest time, I was one of the poor souls who took the opinions of others as confirmation of the man that I was.  If someone claimed that I was lazy, this is how I saw myself.  If I was told that I was too big, that's how I saw things.  Therefore, I've spent most of my life fighting a self image which was often based on what others thought.  How sad.  Not only sad that I thought so lowly of myself, but sad also that I gave others around me that much power over how I felt.  Of course, I wasn't alone in my situation, for there are all too many people out there who suffer from the same thing I did.  I will say, that as Christians we have a advantage in this arena of self identity.  For while the world toils in thoughts of how they can make the world accept them, we who follow Jesus already have that confirmation of who we truly are.  We are children of God {1 John 3:1}.  We share in the inheritance of Christ {1 Peter 1:4}.  We are created in the image of God {Genesis 1:26}.  To quote from that old phrase, God doesn't make garbage.  Seriously, these days whenever I shun the negative opinions of others they are truly flabbergasted.  I've even had a few people say to me, "what do you have, you think you're better than me?"  No, bro, not better, just more enlightened.  I've found that once I realized my own value in Christ that those words of others actually began to take on less meaning.  See, I already know the man I am, so I don't need to depend on others to remind me.

You are of God, little children, and you have overcome them, because He who is in you is greater than he who is in the world.
1 John 4: 4 NKJV

One of the most important verses we can use to see our own true identity is found in 1 John 4: 13.  It's here where the apostle John tells us the truth that "He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world."  Indeed, Christ who is now in us is greater than anyone who is in the worlds way of things.  The apostle Paul tells us of this truth of Christ in us in Galatians 4:20.  So, if Jesus is indeed in us, how much weight do those negative comments of those around us really matter?  If you know that Christ is in you, are you suddenly going to see yourself as worthless?  Let me put it another way, will you let someone else convince you that you're not part of your own family?  Of course not!  My goal here is not to disparage those who sling hurtful and negative comments, but that everyone would see who it is that we really are.  Yes, even though we might not want to see it that way all the time, God never discriminates when it comes to who He saves {John 3:17}.  A friend of mine who to this day continues to remain nameless despite my attempts to out him is fond of saying that all of Gods children carry that Spirit of Jesus within them.  Yes, that bothersome bully you battle with has Christ in them as well, they just have not yet realized it...yet.  I say yet, because, like yourself, God will choose that time where He will reveal Himself in all of us.  Remember, that it is His desire that ALL would be saved.  Of course, we know that won't happen, but that never means that God will give up on those who do not know Him.  I look to the man Saul for confirmation of the Fathers heart to save.  For Saul was indeed the chief persecutor of the early followers of Jesus.  Yet God revealed to him who he really was {Galatians 1:16}.  I'm guessing that we can see this as those who have the revelation and those who don't.  So, what is my role in all of this?  Well, what do you think one of Gods deepest desires is?  If you were God, wouldn't you like to be seen and known by your children?  How is it that those around us will see the invisible God?  Through we who follow Jesus.  Indeed, those around us will surely see He who lives in us through all we do.  Then even they will know that the space is no longer for rent.

But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mothers womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the gentiles,
Galatians 1: 16 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: