Friday, January 14, 2022

At The Feet Of The Father

 




He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.  

1 John 4: 8 NKJV 


There's something to be said about the way a child is raised.  Scripture tells us that we should raise a child the right way and he will not depart from it {Proverbs 22:6}.  Indeed, a child who is raised well by their parents will have a sound foundation through their life.  But how is it that we, as Crosby, Stills and Nash implored, teach our children well?  Well, they learn both from experience and from examples we give them.  Whatever a child sees a parent do, they automatically assume that they need to mimic that behavior.  After all, if it's good for mom and dad it must be meant for the kids too, right?  Sadly, there are some parents out there whose questionable behavior comes nowhere close to teaching the children well.  This is exactly why children who come from abusive homes typically tend to exhibit that very same behavior.  The cycle continues.  As we discuss children learning from our parents, we should consider the Christian perspective as well.  For those of us who love God, what is it that we see our Father do?  well, the apostle John explains that to us.  For the very nature of God is love {1 John 4:8}.  This is also what the Father wishes for us to learn from Him as well.  This is the command which Jesus gave to those who would listen, that we love one another {John 13:34-35}.  Why?  Because the very essence of our heavenly Father is love.  It is love by which he created us in His image {Genesis 1:27}.  It is also through His love by which he provided for our redemption through His Son.  When we look upon our Father, we see love.  This is what we can learn from Him.  Of course, along with love we may also come to emulate God's mercy and grace as well.  Of course, it all goes back to His love for us.  This is the key to learning from the Father.  


Is someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?

1 John 4: 20 NKJV 


Some time ago a friend asked me to speak to a group of young people he worked with and mentored.  At first, I was taken aback and wondered just what it was that I could possibly say to these kids who had seen so much turbulence and tragedy in their own lives?  How could my own experiences somehow relate to them that they were not alone in their experiences?  Well, it turns out that I've been there as well.  My own struggles may not have been as severe as some of these kids, but they were struggles nonetheless.  Perhaps through my experiences I could relate to them that I had faced down the devil in my own life as well.  Knowing this, I agreed to speak to my friends group.  Unfortunately, I never got the chance as life events prevented our schedules from meshing.  However, from time to time I still think of the impact I might have had with these kids had I had the opportunity to speak to them.  What is it that they could learn from me?  Well, as one of my favorite sayings claims, learn from my mistakes.  The difficult times I've suffered may not have been in vain if they can be used to show others that the Lord used me for His purpose.  The struggles I've had may well be a lesson to those searching for a better way.  When we learn at the feet of the Father, we learn to emulate all which He does and to include it into our own lives.  Love one another.  Show mercy.  Be kind to those less fortunate.  This isn't merely being "like" Jesus.  This is BEING Jesus {Galatians 2:20}.  And in the end, this is how we learn.  


For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. 

Hebrews 4: 15 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: