Sunday, January 9, 2022

Our Real Jesus





"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me." 

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


I have a friend who, as he once considered having a true relationship with Christ, wondered to himself how he could possibly have a relationship with a dead guy.  Unfortunately, this has become a reality for many Christians.  Steeped in thousands of years of institutional church theology, we have come to accept the very idea that Jesus is far removed from our own lives.  Well, I am here to reveal to you that this simply isn't true at all.  While it's true that many Christians cannot recall most of the sermons the pulpit pounders preach, the teaching of our churches does have an impact on how it is we ultimately see Jesus.  For the longest time I saw Jesus as many of you do, as the Son of God living in heaven at the Fathers side far removed from the trials and tribulations here on earth.  If only that were true.  Our lack of Jesus is only one of the narratives we Christians have fallen for over the centuries.  Yes, Jesus died on the cross and rose again.  Yes, after His death He was seen by hundreds of people including His disciples.  We do not dispute this, yet we dispute the fact that Christ Jesus is closer to us today than He has ever been.  The apostle Paul spoke to this after his own encounter with the very Jesus he had been persecuting for so long.  Paul spoke to the truth of the real Christ, of Jesus in us {Galatians 2:20}.  Unfortunately, in all of my years siting in church pews, I have never heard this truth uttered by a pastor.  Why is that?  Many downplay Paul's revelation, saying that his situation was unique to him.  Really?  Was Paul some sort of deity that Jesus would choose to live only in him?  I doubt it.  Yet if you buy into traditional Christain teachings this is what you will find.  A Jesus removed from your world and your life.  


And we know that the Son of God has come and has given us an understanding, that we may know Him who is true; and we are in Him who is true, in His Son Jesus Christ.  This is the true God and eternal life.

1 John 5: 20 NKJV 


One thing I do know is that living in a world devoid of a living Christ would be terribly depressing.  I liken traditional church teachings of Jesus to that television commercial where the old guy with a fishing rod is dangling a dollar bill in front of you, "I got you a dollar, ooohh you almost had it!"  Likewise, in the church we're told that we may eventually "be like" Jesus if we do everything right.  The trouble with this is, it places the effort upon us to justify simply being in the presence of Jesus.  Well, anyone who has read Ephesians 2 8-9 can tell you it is not by our own means that we are saved.  So, who is the real Jesus?  Is Jesus that guy who bled and died and is now with the Father in heaven?  Yes.  Or, as I believe, is Jesus living in us today?  Yes.  Wait, can He be in two places at once?  Absolutely.  The real Jesus is the man who became sin on my behalf, taking it away from me {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  The real Jesus is the Jesus who lives in me.  For lack of a better word, I am Jesus.  This is my identity.  I know that my friend would have benefited from this knowing in his initial search for knowing Christ.  However, today he is assured that Christ Jesus is in him.  I like it better this way, knowing that God is with me each and every day.  Knowing that I don't need to be in a church pew to be close to the Lord.  This is our real Jesus.  


Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him.

Romans 6: 8 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: