Monday, January 17, 2022

Our Hope Of Glory

 




For we were saved in this hope, but hope that is seen is not hope; for why does one still hope for what he sees?  But if we hope for what we do not see, we eagerly wait for it with perseverance. 

Romans 8: 24 - 25 NKJV 


Recently I found myself in the middle of a health issue where my hope became a daily struggle.  I already knew the outcome.  The medication was working.  I was in the Lord's healing hands.  Still, I was more than a bit nervous and losing hope.  What if this time was different?  What if the Lord desires to lead me in a different direction?  All of these thoughts were with me each and every day.  Eventually I've come through the other side none the worse for wear, just like in the past.  This got me to thinking about the verse in scripture about our hope.  Who hopes for what they see?  Does anyone really hope for what they know is going to happen?  No.  We place our hopes on things and situations we are unsure of.  Strong is the Christian who sees their hopes and immediately knows that no matter what, God will work in their situation.  The rest of us may realize in our being that the Lord is at work, but we still carry a bit of doubt.  That is why we hope, right?  We hope because we carry doubts that what we're going through will work in our favor.  Don't get wrong, it's perfectly normal to have doubts, even for believers.  Thomas doubted he was seeing Jesus until the Lord gave him proof {John 20:24-31}.  Despite being told that He would rise once more, Jesus' disciples doubted he would.  It's normal to doubt.  I also believe that Jesus desires for God's children to live our lives in hope and not in doubt.  What do we hope for?  The apostle Paul lays that out for us beginning in Galatians.  Here, Paul tells of the truth of Christ Jesus in us {Galatians 2:20}.  This is the hope Paul refers to again in Colossians.  It is our knowledge of Christ Jesus in us which is, as Paul puts it, our hope of glory.  Still, when it comes to knowing the truth of Jesus in us, Christian circles are filled with more doubters than those of us who hope in the glory of Christ.  


To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Colossians 1: 27 NKJV 


I look at Paul's description of the revelation of Christ in me and I understand just how true it is.  This is indeed a mystery among many people.  A dear friend recently referred to it as "the secret."  Whatever the reason, despite plenty of scriptural references, many still believe that their lives are separated from God.  It is the lie spawned by the enemy in the garden.   This is life without hope.  For if we believe that God is far removed from us in heaven, what hope do we ever have for a relationship with Him?  If we believe the traditional church teaching that we can only hope to "be like" Jesus, how will we ever come to know Him?  Like I said, a life without hope.  I'm sorry, but I choose not to live my life that way.  I desire to know Jesus and to have Him in me.  I choose the hope of glory.  I cannot speak for anyone else, only for what my own hopes are.  I no longer hope for what I do not see.  I rejoice in the glory of Christ Jesus which has been revealed in me.  He is our hope of glory.


Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him for we shall see Him as He is.  

1 John 3: 2 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: