Saturday, January 8, 2022

The Strength Of Paul

 




For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Romans 8: 18 NKJV 


Have you ever found yourself going through a rough period in your life and thought that you were all alone?  This week I found myself square in the middle of a health issue where I indeed felt by myself at times.  After all, in my eyes I alone was the one experiencing the pain and discomfort of my affliction.  Then, for some reason, the sufferings of another were revealed to me.  I began to think of the apostle Paul and what he endured at the hands of those who opposed him and his message of Christ.  Paul was imprisoned, tortured and abandoned by more than a few people he trusted in.  It would seem that Paul definitely had the right to complain of his circumstances in life.  Not too many people would have objected considering all he had been through.  Yet Paul did not ask for anyone's pity.  Paul did not curse his circumstances.  What Paul did was connect the dots between his trials and his reality in Christ.  For it was Jesus, if you recall, who Himself also suffered the pain and mistreatment of those who opposed Him.  It was Jesus who also suffered the pain of having those He loved betray Him.  It was Paul who claimed that his sufferings would never compare to Christ who would soon be revealed in him {Romans 8:18}.  So, as I sat disappointed in that hospital waiting room this week I asked myself, does what I'm going through affect my future in Christ?  No!  I also know a few dear friends who have endured their own seasons of trial this past year and come through with a stronger knowing of Christ in their lives.  Now, I don't believe that the Lord purposefully sets forth to make people sick in order to open their eyes to Him.  However, I do believe that He will use our current situations to reveal His Son in us.  This was the strength of Paul.  Through all of his trials, Paul kept his eyes on the prize and continued to speak the word of Jesus.  In fact, by continuing to speak the gospel of Christ, Paul was setting himself up for even more mistreatment.  Yet through Jesus, the strength of Paul, he endured.  


Considering this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  And He said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 12: 8 - 10 NKJV 


Believe me, as I sat in that hospital I was not rejoicing in my sickness.  In fact, I consider it a rare person who would even do such a thing.  To do so, one would need to shift their attention from the suffering of the present to the wonders of the future.  Yes, our present time here in this world has brought us pain, discomfort and suffering.  However, this world is NOT the future which we aspire to.  Paul knew this all too well.  Whatever sufferings were afflicted upon him had no bearing upon his future glory in Christ Jesus.  When he was at his weakest, he was strong {2 Corinthians 12:10}.  A dear friend of mine once presented a good take upon the iconic scripture we find in Philippians 4:13.  Instead of claiming that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, we realize that our true strength comes from Him.  Christ Jesus is our strength.  No more is this made apparent than in Paul's speaking to Christ Jesus in us {Galatians 2:20}.  Applying this to Philippians 4:13 we realize that we can do all things through Christ Jesus in us.  When we are at our weakest, through Christ we are strong.  So, as I sat there in the hospital contemplating this I suddenly realized, what am I worried about?  For whatever happens in this life of mine, my future in Christ has been secured.  I know who I am, and that is an incredible comfort in chaotic times. 


Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses.  For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Romans 8: 26 NKJV 


~Scott~ 



No comments: