Friday, January 7, 2022

Ezra's Pulpit

 




Then he read from it in the open square that was in front of the Water Gate from morning until midday, before the men and women and those who could understand; and the ears of all the people were attentive to the book of the Law.  So Ezra the scribe stood on a platform of wood which they had made for the purpose; and beside him, at his right hand, stood Mattithiah, Sherma, Anaiah, Urijah, Hilkiah and Maaseiah; and at his left hand Pedaiah, Mishael, Malchijah, Hashum, Hashbadana, Zechariah, and Meshullam.

Nehemiah 8: 3 - 4 NKJV 


This week we learned that the ministry of the kin of legendary pastor T.D Jakes will be going to virtual services in part due to a decline in contributions.  While not surprising, it got me thinking about the importance which we place upon our pastors and leaders.  I have had the unique opportunity, through a dear friend, to see what life is like on the other side of that coin.  Rarely does the public get to see such things as quotas, tithing goals and maximum church capacity, but believe me it's there.  It is this corporate mentality which I believe has shattered many a church and congregation.  Choosing to run the church as a boardroom and not as a messenger of God.  So here is my question, where in the scriptures is the word pulpit even mentioned?  We associate pulpits with Sunday sermons and church leadership, but where do they fit into the Lord's plan?  Well, as it turns out, one messenger of the Lord did indeed utilize a wooden pulpit, although not in a way you might think.  We're told that the scribe Ezra stepped onto a pulpit of wood that those who were listening to him could hear him read from the Law of the Lord.  Ezra didn't use the pulpit to ask for donations or to point the finger of sin as is the practice of some pulpit pounders today.  No, it was the desire of Ezra that all hear the word of the Law of the Lord.  This was Ezra's pulpit, and he put it to good use.  Knowing this, I've taken a totally different view not only of the word pulpit, but of the role of those who speak from it.  For I am of the opinion that the pulpit should be used as it was meant to be, as a podium to speak the word of the Lord.  But you say, "Scott, that's what our pastors are doing."  Really?  I hear from plenty of Christians who claim to be tired of the same old message they hear from the pulpit.  Far too many people have abandoned brick and mortar churches because they are not hearing the message they are so hungry to hear.  Those in the pulpits have failed us.  


Now all who believed were together, and had all things all things in common, and sold their possessions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.  So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.

Acts 2: 44 - 47 NKJV 


I recently ran into a friend who used to attend the same church I did.  Eventually the question of church came about, and he said he had given up the church for a home group.  I can't say that I blame him, it's been more than ten years since I stepped into a church myself.  For me, the hustle and bustle of the corporate church did not feed my need to know Christ Jesus.  In a way this was a blessing to me because it led me to a dear friend who himself was longing to know Jesus in a more personal way.  I can honestly say that the Jesus I have come to know in me I would never have heard of from the pulpit of any church.  For anyone who doubts this, I challenge you to watch the film Come Sunday.  This movie is based on the experiences of pastor Carlton Pearson.  Pearson was the stereotypical man in the pulpit, trained by the legendary Oral Roberts.  However, at the height of his ministry, he has a moment of conscience.  I would call it a revelation from the Lord.  He begins to see God not as the accusatory figure spoken of from many a pulpit, but as a God of love.  In the end, Carlton loses his ministry, his church and is alienated by his mentor Roberts.  So it is for those who go against the institutional church grain.  I believe that were some brave soul attempt to speak the truth of Christ Jesus from the pulpit that they would suffer the same fate as Carlton Pearson.  This truth of Christ Jesus is the very same gospel which the apostle Paul spoke to in Galatians.  This is the truth of Christ Jesus in me {Galatians 2:20}.  Not spoken from many pulpits, but true nonetheless.  It was this Jesus whom Carlton Pearson recognized when he claimed, "If you could save your own father from hell...wouldn't you?"  Fortunately, Jesus has accomplished this through His finished work on the cross, and He didn't need a pulpit to do it.  


~Scott~ 



No comments: