Sunday, January 16, 2022

Reading The Seams

 




Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were uneducated and untrained men, they marveled.  And they realized that they had been with Jesus.

Acts 4: 13 NKJV 


The New Yorkers were furious.  Steaming mad.  Infielder Howard Johnson held up a few roughed-up baseballs and claimed that it was proof that "He's doing something to that ball!"  "He" was none other than Houston Astro's hurler Mike Scott, who up until that point had been stymying the Mets with his split fingered fast ball.  If the Mets were seeking a punishment for the Houston right hander, they wouldn't get it.  They would, however, get the ultimate revenge as they would eventually win the series in six games.  Mike Scott and his split finger pitch fanned fourteen Mets in his two starts.  There is an expression which tells us that we do well when we "Read the seams on the fast ball."  That is, when we are able to perceive things which others may not.  We sometimes refer to such people as gifted or blessed, I would agree on the latter.  For I believe that one's perception is not simply an act of genetics or schooling, but a revelation of the Lord.  Yes, even no believers may have these revelations.  However, what if that ball is moving so fast that we can't read the seams?  What if, as the New York Mets protested, someone is scuffing the ball before we can see it?  It's been known to happen.  God's revelations do not always come on a regular basis.  Why do I bring this up?  To illustrate the knowing of the truth of Christ Jesus.  See, people may say that they know Jesus, but do they?  There are simple questions.  Where does Jesus live?  How can Jesus tolerate sin?  Read the seams people!  Fortunately for us, we have the apostle Paul, whose own revelation led him to his understanding of Christ Jesus in him {Galatians 2:20}.  It is Paul who explains to us that it is Jesus who lives in us today.  What about that nagging sin issue?  Yeah, Paul gives us a few words on how Jesus did away with that as well {Romans 6:6-11}.  Sin is no longer the issue which keeps Jesus away from being one with us.  This is a truth I have only come to know and understand in the last few years.  I read the seams.  Why haven't other believers also wrapped their understanding around the truth of Jesus?  Well, like I said, the Lords revelations are unlike clockwork.  It is in His timing which we will see Christ in us.  


But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might teach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood.

Galatians 1: 15 - 16 NKJV 


Understand, I wasn't a heathen before I came to realize Christ in me.  I was like many other believers out there simply following what I learned in organized church.  I wasn't reading the seams.  In other words, it was a steady diet of slow pitches which I became accustomed to.  Then one day a dear friend stood on that mound and delivered to me a blistering split fingered fastball.  Something which went so far against what I had been taught that I couldn't immediately accept it.  Here I was, a sinner saved by the heavenly Fathers love and grace...and Jesus is in me?  Me?  Like most believers who have had this revelation, my first thought was what about my sins?  You know, those sins which Jesus Himself died on that cross to forgive me of?  Those sins which, despite knowing this, I still carried with me?  Yeah, those sins.  Well, it turns out that Jesus has Himself become sin that I need not be enslaved to them any longer {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  Again, I didn't read the seams.  Reading the seams can be difficult.  Perceiving what we will encounter is no easy task.  However, one thing we can be assured of is that the One who knows every secret will reveal to us what He wants us to know in His perfect timing.  The Houston Astros found that out the hard way.  


Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.  For he who has died has been freed from sin.  Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more.  Death no longer has dominion over Him.  For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 

Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: