Tuesday, December 29, 2015

A Matter Of Faith

You believe there is one God.  You do well.  Even the demons believe - and tremble!
James 2:19 NKJV

What is it that gives us faith?  What is it that keeps our faith alive?  Does God somehow turn his back to us if our faith falters?  I don't believe that a loving God would suddenly turn his back on his children if we suddenly struggled in our faith.  This is something we've been struggling with for ages.  I figure God is used to his children struggling with our faith by now.  Now, I guess I should point out the important fact that I "struggle" with my faith and not "reject" my faith.  I still believe.  As James 2:19 tells us, I believe God is there, yet even my enemies the demons believe there is a God, and tremble!

Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.  For by it the elders obtained a good testimony.  By faith we understand that the world was framed by the word of God, so that the things that are seen were not made of things which are visible.  But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must beileve that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
Hebrews 11:1-3 NKJV

I recall reading a traslation of Hebrews 11:1 that stated that our faith is the "conviction" of things not seen.  We are CONVINCED of that which we hope for will come to pass.  This is a conviction, a inner trust that God will present to us that which we are hoping.   I love Hebrews chapter 11 for it's description of the faith I sometimes feel I'm struggling with.  The writer does a wonderful job of putting things back in perspective, and I've turned to these verses often.  I am CONVINCED that the world around me was created from nothing, by God.  It is this trust that our God exists that is the basis of our belief, our faith.  Abraham, Noah and Sarah, by faith the elders of old claimed a good testimony of which we often read in Gods word.  They believed in their holy God and were CONVINCED that what God promised would come to pass.  To them there was no question.  God said it, they believed it!
One thing that I can be assured of in those times that my faith is weakened is that my faltering faith DOES NOT erase the thousands of years of the promises God has kept.

But Moses' became heavy; so they took a stone and placed it under him, and he sat on it.  And Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
Exodus 17:12 NKJV

Moses was weary, his faith may have been shaken.  It was his brother Aaron and Hur who , in his time of need strengthened him and uplifted him.  It's in those times where I find myself with a struggle in my faith, that my brothers around me will often uplift me and call to God in prayer on my behalf.  It's not that I refuse to believe that my God has deserted me or suddenly turned his back on me.  No, his love for me is stronger than that.  I believe in God and what he has done and can do.  It's a matter of faith.

~Scott~

No comments: