Saturday, December 12, 2015

When Men Will Follow

"So I sought for a man among them who would make a wall, and stand in the gap before Me on behalf of the land, that I should not destroy it; but I found none."
Ezekiel 22:30 NKJV

I've lost track of just how many christian books there are out there on the market on what it takes to be a man of God.  Trouble is, what does it take to be a man of God?  Do we necessarily need to make some author rich to find the answer to this question?  I think we can go that route, but we may be disapointed in what we find.  The truth is, if one wishes to be learn about what it takes to be a man of God, why not learn from He who created man?

Blessed is the man who walks not in the councel of the ungodly, nor stands in the path of sinners, nor sits in the seat of the scornful; but his delight is in the law of the LORD, And in his law he meditates day and night.  He shall be like a tree planted by rivers of water, That brings forth it's fruit in its season, Whose leaf also shall not wither; And whatever he does he shall prosper.
Psalm 1: 1-3 NKJV

Does this sound like a good description of a man of God?  When we talk of going to God for a definition of a man,  this may be what we get.  Obviously,  there may be more to this definition, but it's a good place to start in our search for what a true Godly man is.
In Ezekiel 22:30 we find that we're not the only ones who have sought for a Godly man.  Our Lord God also looked and , in this case, unsuccessfully.  So, where are we in our search for "making" men of God?  I think it's funny that we've turned our focus from one of engaging men in Christ to that of somehow recruiting men to follow God.  The old monicker of the "Christian soldier" may have had something to do with this.  Often we resort to the tactics of a military recruiter of a football coach in order to drive men to God.  I'm sorry, but this seems more like compelling someone to join a cause rather than realize the freedom and forgiveness of Jesus.  It's true that, as christians, we fight a daily spiritual battle, but our belief and faith is not based on a militaristic ideal.  It is not I, but God, who will fight my battles!
I believe that I am a child, no, a MAN of God.  It isn't a slew of books or hooo rahh lectures that has brought me to this point in my life.  No, what has brought me to realize my life in Christ is the encouragement and engagement of more than a few other Godly men in my life.  Jesus never compelled others to follow him, he simply shared life with them.  As he traveled, his ministry grew.  I believe the desire to learn of the love of our Lord Jesus lies in the heart of every man.  Those of us who have Jesus within us can bring a life changing message.

~Scott~  


No comments: