Sunday, December 6, 2015

Who Is She?

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
2 Corinthians 5: 17 NKJV

I recently had a conversation with a freind of mine and the topic of the male/female dynamic came up.  We've all been there, a cute girl/guy will come into view and immediately our thoughts race to other places.  This was the subject of my question to my friend.  Is it wrong to gaze at someone of the opposite sex?  My friend, through years of wisdom provided a sound answer.  NO, looking is not bad per se, but ask God how he views the object of your gaze.  BRILLIANT!  Indeed, if my Lord sees me as his loved child, would he not see another person the very same way?  Are we so arrogant to believe that we ourselves are the only ones deserving of Gods love and grace?  It sounds silly that Jesus died on that cross only for me.  I know this to be false.  So, if God sees me with love and mercy, his new creation, then obviously he sees the object of our affections the very same way.
I think that we get confused into thinking that when we are attracted to someone of the opposite sex that it is wrong to gaze at that person.  Well, I think that is true only if our motives are wrong.

"But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already commited adultry with her in his heart."
Matthew 5:28 NKJV

This teaching by Jesus in the sermon on the mount carries a important message for us.  I believe the underlying message here is "what are our thoughts as we gaze at someone we're attracted to?"  Are those thoughts something our God would approve of?  Or, are we simply seeking to satisfy the flesh?  Remember, as Jesus is alive and well inside every believer, whatever we see, Jesus sees!  Which brings another thought into consideration, how does our Lord Jesus see that person we're looking at? Again, if we believe that Jesus sees us as Gods loved and redeemed child, then obviously he would see the object of our affection the very same way.  We ourselves haven't cornered the market on Gods love.  He loves us all and desires EVERYONE to be saved.
So, as I walk along the path of my daily life and I see a girl who I like, what is my thought process?  Who is this wonderful person who has caught my eye?  Well, like me she is a loved and cherished child of our Lord God.

~Scott~  

No comments: