Sunday, December 6, 2015

Finding Friendship

Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their labor.  For if they fall, one will lift up his companion.  But woe to him who is alone when he falls, for he has no one to help him up.  Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; but how can one be warm alone?  Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him.  and a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Eccclesiastes 4: 9-12 NKJV

It's been said that he who finds a friend finds a good thing.  I tend to agree with this.  Who of us can count on one hand the number of true good friendships we've developed?  I'd venture to say that a trusted friend is worth more than any money we could come across.  Personally, I count four men in my life who I would trust with my very life.  I can turn to them with any issue that I'm having and I can trust them to know God well enough to give me wise guidance.  In a world filled more often than not with sinful people, it is comforting to know that we have someone that we can turn to.
Our Lord Jesus had friends as well.  Indeed, he counted his twelve disciples among his greatest friends.  These men walked, lived and shared their lives together for a significant time during Jesus' ministry here on earth.  In fact, upon his resurection, these friends of Jesus became some of the greatest defenders of the gospel the world has ever known.  It was also because of their friendship with Jesus that a good number of these men lost their lives.  I would suggest that even after the resurection of their Lord and teacher, that these men gave their lives for Jesus!

"This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.  You are my friends if you do what I command you.  No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from my father I have made known to you.  You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the father in my name he may give you.
John 15: 12-16 NKJV

My brothers, what a friend we have in Jesus!

~Scott~


No comments: