Thursday, December 31, 2015

Spiritual But Not Religious

"Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in me."
John 14:1 NKJV

There are many sects of christianity these days.  We have Lutherns, Catholics and Seventh Day Adventists among others.  I've often wondered just why there are so many different branches of the same christian tree.  It would seem that any time there is a disagreement in a church, people will leave and began a new congregation.  Just where this new congregation will land ideologically is anyones guess.  One would hope that the seed God planted would continue to grow.  One of the  largest sects of modern religion are those among us who will say that they are "Spiritual but not religious."  While I respect people's choice of the religion they choose, I have difficulty accepting the concept of spirituality without religion.  If I am at all spiritual, do I not believe in someone/somethinng?  After all, we humans have made a habit of creating religion out of a number of things that we believe in.  These days we have religions based on nature, oceans, the sky and even a nirvana perfect society.  Obviously those who practice these beliefs believe in something?  
I've recenntly befriended a few people who claim that nature is their religion, which has led to a few interesting yet friendly conversations.  It seems that my friends feel very content and "spiritual" while communing in nature.  Now, I love nature.  In fact, my dear friend and mentor have tackled many a Northwest hiking trail and plan on many more.  Do I base my religious beliefs on the wilderness we venture into?  Well, yes and no.

In the begining God created the heavens and the earth.
Genesis 1:1 NKJV

Do I believe that there is spirituality in Gods creation?  Absolutely, but I also believe that all that we see was created by our heavenly Father as the scriptures tell us.  I've heard many of the "Big bang theories" of just how the world could have been created by natural means spontaneously.  Let's just assume that some molecular level event suddenly led to a massive, life creating episode.  Following this thinking, just what created the molecule that led to this event?  From my experience, things are not created spontaneously from absolutely nothing.  Either there needs to be a source material for the begining of all creation, or indeed something miraculous has occured.  Obviously, I'm of the belief that God created all that we see.
One thing I will agree on, is that God is present in all that we see.  In fact, as my friend pointed out this past summer, nature is the very expression of Gods wonders.  From the trees and oceans that we see, they testify to the wonderful works of the Living God of the universe.  

All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.
John 1:3 NKJV

~Scott~




No comments: