Saturday, October 3, 2015

A Greater Love

"For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have everlasting life.  For God did not send his son into the world to condem the world, but that the world through him might be saved."
John 3: 16-17 NKJV

I've lost count of how many times that I've seen people waving signs with the scricpture from John 3:16 written boldly on them.  From sporting events to political rallies, this verse has become synonomous with introducing God  to those around us.  In fact, I would venture to say that it's been overused.  Granted, as believers, we are called to spread the good news of God and Jesus to those among us.  The events of this past week here in Oregon made me think of the message that we are putting out.  A shooter,  a man filled with hate, deliberately chose christians as the victims of his rampage.  Now, the persecution of those who love God is nothing new, in fact we are warned about it in scripture.  One comment I made to my friend Dennis tis week was, how could someone be filled with so much hate?  When the message of our Lord is love, why is there so much hatred?  There must be a disconnect somewhere.  In fact, Gods love is demonstrated to us in that most well known scripture in John 3:16.  God knew the state the world would become, yet out of his love and mercy he sent his son to die for us, his beloved creation.  Trust me, he could have very well vanquished us all and started all over again,  but that wouldn't show his love and grace.  No, we needed a redeemer from our sinful condition and God delivered.  
Like I said at the begining, I believe that the words of John 3:16 have been overused over the years.  What is the message of John 3:16?   For God so LOVED the world that he would send his one and only son to die for us.  This is not a God of evil intent.  This is not a God waiting on the sidelines to punish those who would do wrong.  God loves us!  THIS is the message we need to be sharing.  I won't get into the mixed messages of the church, who seem to think that by preaching about Gods anger towards unbelievers, that christians will fearfully follow God.  No good will ever come from that teaching.  No, the message is not Gods anger, but his love for all of us.  God extended his love to the young man who was so filled with hate this week, but  he either didn't  receive that news or chose to ignore it.  I know many people will criticize me for saying that God loved this man who showed so much evil intent, but to say otherwise would make the words in John 3:16 a lie.  When God says he "So loved the world" he even means those that we may find unloveable.  How great of a love is that?  I can honestly say I've never loved someone that unconditionaly.   I believe the message of John 3:16 is just as it is written, of Gods unconditional love.  There will never be any greater love than that.

~Scott~

No comments: