Sunday, October 18, 2015

Left Behind

"Moreover if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone.  If he hears you, you have gained your brother.  But if he will not hear, take with you one or two more, that 'by the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.'  And if he refuses to hear them, tell it to the church.  But if he refuses even to hear the church, let him to be to you like a heathen and a tax collector."
Matthew 15: 15-17 NKJV

It never feels good to lose a freind.  In fact, I'd equate it as one of the worst feelings one could endure.  I know that feeling too well.  There was a time in my life when, even though I was a christian, I pretty much followed my own path.  Sure, I believed in God, but as far as a relationship with him I was pretty much lost.  It's one thing to practice a relationship with Jesus, but I was just going through the motions.  I may have appeared ok on a Sunday morning, but I wasn't really there in my heart.  See, I was more than comfortable in my life outside of church where I wasn't challanged to put my trust and faith in God.  For the most part, my Sunday apprearances were just for others to see.  I believe the term for people like this is "Whitewashed Tomb."  On the outside we look fine, but inside we are empty.  For everyone who saw me, I was pretty much ok.  This all changed in 2009 when my mom was stricken with cancer.  Even though this was a tragic moment for me, I know in my heart that God meant it for a good purpose.
Despite my backsliding, I still had a few christian brothers who wouldn't give up on me, and I'm forever grateful to them for this.  Yes, they tried to get me to change, but I was pretty stubborn in my ways at the time.  Pride tends to do that to people.  Above all, I didn't want to give up the control that I had over my own life.  That whole trusting God and relationship with Jesus thing was pretty much lost on me back then.  I knew I was a christian, but as I look back, it was in name only.  Just another whitewashed tomb.  With my moms sickness, I lost that security  of her support.  My mother has always been strong in her faith, and has always been there to support and uplift me.  Now, with her sickness, I was forced to rely on God alone and not my mothers comfort.  Like I said, God may have very well used my mothers sickness to bring me to that point in my life.  For their part, those few christian brothers who walked beside me had stepped back and allowed God to do his work in me.
In talking with my friend Dennis recently, he revealed that he and my friend David had stepped back and allowed me to continue on what I felt was best for me.  Now, I don't blame these men one bit for doing what they did, in fact I'm forever grateful for the love they showed.  Where would I be had they not stepped back and allowed God to do what he does best?  Matthew 15: 15-17 tells of dealing with a sinning brother, this is what my friends were doing.  One thing about sin, it comes in many different packages, but it's all the same in the end.  I mentioned the pain of losing a freind.  Although these guys had stepped away from my life at the time, it was needed for God to do his work in me.  Today, these two are two of the most treasured friendships I have.

~Scott~

No comments: