Monday, October 19, 2015

Being Jesus

That they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they may also be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me.  And the glory which you gave me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one:  I in them, and you in me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that you have sent me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.
John 17: 21-23 NKJV

This passage in John 17 is quite interesting in that Jesus, just before his crucifiction, retired to the Garden of Gethsemane to pray and commune with his father in heaven.  Not only does Jesus pray for himself, but for his disciples AND for us.  Yes, centuries before many of us were conceived, Jesus prayed for us on that night just before he was handed over to those who would eventually kill him on a cross.  But it is what he prayed for us that should make us take notice.  "I in them, and You in Me, that they may be made perfect in one."  This is one of a number of places in scripture that proclaims that Christ dwells within us.  
So, what does it mean to "Be Jesus", to have Christs spirit living within us?  For one thing, I think that we can assume that everything we experience here on earth, we share with him.  If Jesus resides in us, then he shares our very life with us.  So, the term "Being Jesus" isn't too far off.  Can Jesus relate to what we're going through?  Absolutely!  I don't think we can ask for a better advocate.  

For we do not have a high priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses,  but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin.
Hebrews 4: 15 NKJV

No matter what it is we're struggling with, Jesus has faced that same onslaught and remained sinless in the process.  I've struggled, I've sinned, I'm not perfect.  However, I have Jesus in me, and who wouldn't  want that?  

~Scott~ 

No comments: