Sunday, October 18, 2015

A Sinner Like Me

Also he spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous and despised others:  "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men - extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.  I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.  And the tax collector,  standing afar off,  would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!"
Luke 18: 9-13 NKJV 

This entry has a twofold purpose.  Yes, we are all sinners born into sin,  the bible assures us of this fact.  In fact, the apostle Paul called himself "Chief" of all sinners.  This man who persecuted members of the early church surely had reason to feel guilty and ashamed for all he had done.  Yet, despite this, Paul also knew in his heart that he was justified by the cruscifiction and resurection of his lord Jesus.  Pauls interaction with Jesus on the road to Damascus that fateful day had left him a changed man.  If anyone had a right to feel ashamed in the eyes of God, it was Paul.  However, as is usualy the case, God had other plans for this man Paul.  The result was one of the greatest defenders of the gospel of the Lord in history.   Many of the books in our New Testament were letters written by this former persecutor of the church.  God works in mysterious ways indeed.  
Since we were all born into sin, we carry that weight with us from birth.  Talk about starting out on the wrong foot.  Even before we take our first breath we have that strike against us.  How can God bring us into this situation?  For a long time, I felt alot of guilt for what things that I had done.  Like that tax collector in the temple, I would stand far off and ask Gods forgiveness.  We've all been there.  Guilt and shame are a terrible burden weight to carry for anyone.  What I didn't  realize for a long time was that God had already provided for my forgiveness.  When Jesus gave his life on that cross, he died for ALL of us.  Just as God had redeemed Paul, he redeemed me as well.  Our prayer should not be "God please forgive me", He's already taken care of that.  Instead, come to God in prayer THANKING him for his mercy and forgiveness.  

~Scott~ 

1 comment:

Dennis Deardorff said...

Yes, everyone is forgiven, they just don't know it. How sad if they never get to realize that fact and live their lives in deception.