Sunday, February 21, 2016

A Proud People

Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: "Tow men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee nd the other a tax collector.  The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank you that I am not like other men - extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.  I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all I posssess.'  And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast,  saying, "God, be merciful to me a sinner!"  "I tell you, this man went down to his house justifed rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."
Luke 18: 9-14 NKJV

We've all met people like this Pharisee in Luke 18 haven't we?   Those who, in spite of themselves, seem to have everything under control.  Somehow, the message hasn't gotten to them that it is not themselves who are responsible for their success or lack thereof.  It is nothhing  they have or will ever do that will determine their eternity.  No, for each and every day we have is numbered by our sovereign Lord.  Yet, there are those who continue to revel in the fact that they decide their own destiny.  Whether it be arrogance or pride, the simple fact is that we control nothing of the outcome of our lives.

A mans heart plans his way, But the LORD determines his steps.
Proverbs 16:9 NKJV

My friend has brought up the observation recently that there ultimately is no independent self, as some may think.  I tend to agree with this.  For if we were to have true independence, what need would we have for God?  For the scriptures tell us that God created all that we see, including man.  Now, if mankind were truly independent, would there be a need for a creator?  Of course, when God created the world, there were no humans around to proclaim, "That's ok, God, I'm independent so I can fend for myself."  No, for each of us was created in the very image of the living God.  I venture to say that the ONLY one with a independent nature is God.  For it is God who sits alone as being truly independent.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Begining and the End, the First and the Last.
Revelation 22:13 NKJV

It is God who was there from the begining, and it is God who will greet us in the end.  There were none before Him, and there will be none after Him.  It is foolish to think otherwise.  There is a reason that our Lord resists the proud, for pride denys God.  With our pride comes the feeling that we are truly independent and have no need for Him.  Yet, God has a way of bringing those who feel they have no need for Him to their knees.  It is then that even the most arrogant among us will cry out, "Help me, Lord!"

~Scott~

No comments: