Sunday, February 7, 2016

Thankful

Pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
1 Thessalonians 5: 17-18 NKJV

I heard a old radio preacher relate a story this morning that got me thinking.  It seems this old padre was on a road trip with his wife in a motor home that a kind church elder had borrowed him for a sabatical.  Well, long story short, in the midele of the trip, this motor home started to loose power and have engine trouble.  Stranded out of town, the old preacher struggled with how to repair the vehicle.  Finaly, and perhaps by Gods intervention, his wife reminded him, "Have you thanked God?"  Floored by her suggestion, but agreeing that it was a good idea, the old preacher thanked the Lord for his vacation and the kindness of the old couple who loaned him the vehicle.  To hear the old parson tell it, almost immediately they came across someone who, with a few tweaks with a screw driver, had the rig up and running like normal!  Now, some may dismiss this as just another feel good church story, but I know better!  For indeed I have much to thank my Lord for.

Rejoice in the Lord always.  Again I will say, rejoice!  Let your gentleness be known to all men.  The Lord is at hand.  Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 4-7 NKJV

Somewhere I have a old T shirt that reminded me at one time of the message of  1 Thesolonians 5:17.  The shirt depicts the cross of Jesus just above the words PRAY HARD!  Many of us think of prayer as a request made to God on our behalf in times of need.  While this is indeed true, it is in verse 18 of 1 Thesolonians 5 that we see the other side of prayer.  "In everything give thanks."  How many of us, like that old radio preacher, have seen prayer as just an opportunity to ask a favor from God?  I know I have.  That's not to say that I don't thank God, I do.  However, what I failed to realize, was that EVERYTHING I have is from my loving Father.  Every gift, every blessing and, yes, even every trial.  Everything I have is from God.  In his loving nature towards us, he promises to never give us something that we cannot handle.  In fact, his promise to us is that HE KNOWS his plans for us are for good!

For I know the thoughts that I think towards you, says tthe LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.
Jeremiah 29:11 NKJV

God is not in it to make sure we fail!  As we see in Jeremiah 29:11, Gods true heart for us is for our well being!  Too often, we see our Lords blessings as confirmation of his love and caring for us.  However, we do well to realize that it is in times of our deepest distress that God is working behind the scenes  on our behalf.  Yes, even as we go through that valley of the shadow of death, we will have no fear, for our loving God is walking with us.  I think we do well when we see our prayers not only as requests to our Lord, but also as a heart to heart level conversation.

~Scott~

No comments: