Friday, February 19, 2016

The Papa Speaks

"Real christians don't build walls, they build bridges"
~Pope Francis~

The comments recently made by Pope Francis in response to Republican presidential candadite Donald Trump have made some big headlines this week.  Obviously responding to Mr. Trumps call for a wall along our southern border, the Pontif stuck his foot in his mouth as he interjected himself into the realm of politics.  Should one believe that Pope Francis is the sole authority on who is and isn't  christian?  Do my credentials stack up to the Popes definition of being christian?  Forget the fact that the Popes home is surrounded by walls itself.  I can find nowhere in scripture where a Catholic Pope has absolute authority over who can be called a follower of Christ.  No, we are only called to believe!  For my part, I know that I might offend the Pope with my anti christian lifestyle.  For I do not worship the Virgin Mary or attend a confession for sins that Christ has already forgiven me for.   No, I'm sure that I wouldn't make the Pontifs short list for being christian.  Then again, how many of us would?  In my mind, the Popes definitiion of being a christian has a high standard.
Is it suprising to know that there are "conditions" for becoming a catholic?  From attending mass on a regular basis to having a church "approved" marriage, there is a good sized process to becoming a catholic.  This is why I think the Pope would not approve of my lifestyle.  For I have accepted my Lord Jesus into my heart without the help of any priest, deacon or Pope!  I cannot help but view the Pope in the same way as Jesus viewed the pharisees of his day.  For these men burdened people with their religious rules all  the while benefiting both financialy and in honor from those they ruled over!

"But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!  For you shut up the kkingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.  Woe to you, scribes and Phariseees, hypocrites!  For you devour widow's houses, and for a pretense make llong prayers.  Therefore you will receive greater condemnation.  Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites!  For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte, and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves."
Mark 23: 13-15 NKJV

In my heart I know that Jesus is my savior and that he Himself resides within me.  Whether this fits the Popes definition of being a christian is debateable.

~Scott~

No comments: