Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Collateral Damage

He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.  He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.  But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkess, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
1 John 2: 9-11 NKJV

I have told my freind Dennis on more than one occasion that I would not relish having his job as a pastor.  In his time, I'm sure that he has seen not only the good of christianity, but the worst of it as well.  On occasion , he has shared a few of these experiences with me.  Personaly, I do not understand how he is able to keep as focused as he is on helping others knowing what he has experienced.  However, this is a large part of just what makes him a unique representative for Christ Jesus.  I have not come across too many who share his passion for sharing Christ.  I mention my aversion to that very job which he has practiced for many years.  For when you take on that role of pastor, you wear many hats.  One day you may share in the joy of a wedding, while the next you're consoling the family of a friend at a funeral.  Although it is this series of duties which would make me think twice about being a pastor, it is that other side of christianity which I have a genuine disregard for.  What are we to say to one who has been wounded emotionaly by another christian?  Aren't we christians supposed to be a tight knit group who look after one another?  Does not our Lord tell us to love one another?  Yet, pastors are left each day with the collateral damage of one christian upon another.  My friends, if I were ot judge other christians by my own behavior, then I can indeed understand why there are those instances of christians hurting each other.  For I know where my own behavior has gotten me in my relationships with others.  Indeed, we all have that flesh part of us which seeks it's own way over the ways of Christ.  It is that part of us which seeks it's own pleasure, not the closeness of Jesus.  Unfortunately, we all have this within us.  My friend Dennis would refer to our flesh as a "Neutral" part of our being, being easily persuaded.  I believe this is a pretty accurate description.  For it is our flesh which seeks it's own way.

And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom we also once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.  But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus.  For by grace you have been saved through faith, and not that of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.
Ephesians 2: 1-10 NKJV

I mention my own behavior to give myself a perspective of just how christians can treat others.  However, is this who I am?  No, for that was my "Old man" which was crucified with Christ Jesus {Romans 6: 6-11}.  As the apostle Paul tells us, we are also now not to regard no one according to the flesh any longer {2 Corinthians 5:16}.  For we who have trusted in Christ Jesus are now a new creation in Him.  Honestly, having this view of those around us would definately help us in our relationships with others.  Has it always helped me?  Not really.  For although I am a new creation in Christ, it is that flesh within me which will continue to seek it's own gratification.  I'm sure it's that way for everyone.  I still don't see just how Dennis deals with the ever changing aspects of his calling.  However, he's one of the few which I would trust with any issues I have.  Thank you my friend.

~Scott~


No comments: