Thursday, August 25, 2016

In Step With Christ

Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that w should no longer be slaves of sin.  Forhe who has died has been freed from sin.  Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowingthat Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more.  Death no longer has dominion over Him.  For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.  Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6: 6-11 NKJV

My friend Dennis and I have had this conversation on numerous occasions.  And I must take this opportunity to acknowledge that his advice is correct.  For at times I lose focus on the truth which is now in my heart.  The truth of Christ Jesus our Lord within us.  Not only that, and this is where I have sometimes missed the mark myself, but each and every day those who have accepted Christ walk AS JESUS.  Of course, as Dennis has so often pointed out, each and every situation we encounter and feel, we do so as Christ Jesus within us. If anyone has difficulty comprehending this truth don't worry, I've been there.  In fact, I'm sure that there is a long line of people behind me who have that very same difficulty.  Now, this is not some untried or unheard of proclamation.  No, for this truth of Christ Jesus in us is well documented in scripture.  Now, unless you're one of those people who cherry pick Gods word to suit whatever position you are trying to explain, you can look at a few of the scriptures I've often referenced and decide for yourself if this truth is indeed right and true.  For there are many a pulpit pounder out there who all too often exort us to "Be more like Jesus." Well, christian, if you have made that choice in your hearts to accept Christ Jesus, then not only are you more LIKE  Jesus, but you ARE Jesus!

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV

My friends, can one not look at the very words of the apostle Paul in Galations 2:20 and not come to that realization that Christ Jesus lives within us today?  This was not simply Paul recognizing this truth within himself, but relating also this truth to those who would read the words which he had written.  In fact, I have not heard of a scriptural account that Paul ever met Jesus, but I may be mistaken.  No,for Sauls first encounter with Christ Jesus was on the road to Damascus as Saul traveled to continue his persecution of the early church of the followers of Christ Jesus.  It was here that the life of Saul of Tarsus changed forever.  From that point forward, he would be known as Paul, one of the greatest defenders of the gospel of Christ Jesus the world may ever know.  It is this man Paul who relates to us the truth of Christ Jesus within us.  Therefore, we who have accepted Christ have absolutely zero need to "Be more like Jesus" as I have heard many a pastor proclaim.  No, for each step that we take in our dialy lives, we now take as Christ Jesus.  That relationship with our heavenly Father which was damaged at the fall, has now been restored through the death and resurection of Christ.  Therefore, we can now wipe away any thoughts of the word "sinner" when we look wihin ourselves.  The guilt which once defined us, our old man, was taken by Christ, nailed to a tree and put to death.  Therefore, we are now a brand new creation in Christ Jesus.  The relationship has been restored.  Not more like Jesus, but living AS Jesus.

~Scott~

No comments: