Wednesday, August 24, 2016

I Got This

"I am the true vine, and my Father is the vinedresser.  Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.  You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.  Abide in Me, and I in you.  As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.  I am the vine, you are the branches.  He who abides in Me, I am in him, bears much fruit; for without Me he can do nothing.  If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.  If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.  By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples."
John 15: 1-8 NKJV

It happens almost every time I tune in to watch Sportscenter on TV.  Now, granted, I don't  watch it very often, but I have my moments.  There they'll be, some star struck athlete or some washed up has been trying to resurrect a long forgotten career will be staring at me through that television and, when asked by some upstart locker room reporter just how they feel they'll do in some upcoming game, they'll smile and say, "I got this."  Really?  It's usually about this time that I'll flip the channel to some outdated Deadliest Catch rerun.  So, what is it with us where we feel we ourselves are all that stands between life, achievment ot whatever?  i'm sorry, but is  it all about our very own efforts that we've gotten as far as we can in life?  Is it our own efforts, or lack thereof, which have denied us opportunity?  I believe that we, as humans, have a natural tendency to place our own independence and efforts above the overall sovereignty of God.  It's almost like we are telling our heavenly Father, "Thank you, God, for creating the world, the universe and me, but I got  this!"  Whether it's our flesh or our fierce independence, we all too often put God on that back burner until such time where we need to call on Him as we realize that, despite all our flesh will tell us, that we do indeed need Him.  Fortunaltely, God never flips to another channel when we exert what we feel is our rightful independence.  No, for He simply allows us this brief moment of fleshly independence.  For He knows that sooner or later, upon realizing that we indeed have need of our heavenly Father in our lives, that many will once again return to Him.  Of course, there will be those stubborn few who will adhere to their false independence until the end.  It is here, a false sense of independence, where I believe our issue lies.

In the begining God created the heavens and the earth.  The earth was without form, and void; and darkness was on the face of the deep.  And the Spirit of God was hovering over the face of the waters.  Then God said, "Let there be light"; and there was light.  And God saw the light, that it was good; and God divided the light from the darkness.  God called the light day, and the darkness He called night.  So the evening and the morning were the first day.
Genesis 1: 1-5 NKJV

I've gone through the book of Genesis often enough to say with confidence that there is NO placee in the account of our Lords creation where man had anything to do with the creation of the universe.  No, for even we ourselves are the very loving creation of our Lord God {Genesis 2:7}.  And yet, we often feel as if we ourselves can make it on our own without God.  Oh, we know God is there, He simply becomes a 911 option to be called upon whenever we need His help.  And yes, eventually most come to that realization that we can't go it alone.  It is this false sense our own independence which drives this rebelious nature.  For many a man has often thought themselves as truly independent, even from God.  My friends, when it comes to independence, God is the only true self.  For God, being the creator of all seen and unseen, is the alpha and omega, the begining and the end.

"I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Begining and the End, the First and the lst."  Blessed are those who do His commandments, that they may have the right to  the tree of life, and may enter through the gates into the city.
Revelation 22: 13-14 NKJV

The Alpha and the Omega, the First and the last, the Begining and the End.  So, does it sound like God is dependent upon anyone or anything?  No, for in this relationship, we are the ones who are dependent upon our Lord, not the other way around.  The relationship does not work too well the other way around my friends.  And yet we continue to say to God, "I got this."  Lucky for we who hold onto that false independence that the love and grace of our Lord yet allows us to return to His presence once again as will surely do,  I'm not blind enough to see that my false sense of fleshly independence is an error.  God, "You got this!"

~Scott~
~Chad Ocho Cinco, arrogance personified~ 

No comments: