Wednesday, August 31, 2016

True

But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Isreal out of the land of Egypt?"  So He said, "I will certainly be with you, And this shall be a sign to you that I have sent you; When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain."  Then Moses said to God, "Indeed, when I come to the children of Isreal and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall Isay to them?"  And God said to Moses, " I AM WHO I AM."  And He said, "Thus you shall say to all the children of Isreal, I AM has sent me to you."  Moreover God said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the children of Isreal: The lORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial to all generations."
Exodus 3: 11-15 NLKV

Poor Moses.  For what had started out as a bout of curiosity at a burning bush which suprisingly did not burn, had turned into an event that would shapre his life.  This is often just how our Lord operates in our lives.  One day we may be minding our own business and the next God shifts the focus of our lives to something suited to His plan, to His will.  Of course, we may have more in common with our brother Moses than we first thought we might.  For when God institutes His changes in our lives, do we not wonder, "What are you doing, God?"  Often times, we're in our comfort zone, living what it is WE believe that our Lord wishes for us.  I mean, if God wanted us in another direction, wouldn't He do it?  Perhaps, but He will also very often gently nudge us in the direction He wants us to go.  We may not come to "Burning bush" moment, but when it happens There can be little doubt who this messenger is who is working in our lives.  Of course, God had a great plan for Moses at this moment in time.  For Moses' people, the children of Isreal, had been in bondage in Egypt for many years.  Now was the time He had chosen to deliver His children out of Egypt.

Moreoever He said, "I am the God of your father - the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob."  And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God.  And the LORD said: "I have surely seen the oppression of My people who are in Egypt, and have heard their cry because of their taskmasters, for I know their sorrows.  So I have cme down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptions, and to bring them up from that land to a good and large land, to a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites and the Hittites and the Amorites and the Perizzites and the Hivites and the Jebusites.  Now therefore, behold, the cry of the children of Isreal has come to Me, and I have also seen the oppression with which the Egyptions oppose them."
Exodus 3: 6-9 NKJV

It is interesting that when Moses asks of the Lord just who he should tell the children of Isreal just who it was that had sent him that God lays some truth on Moses.  Gods response to Moses?  "I AM WHO I AM."  For this would have been all that the children of Isreal would need to know that their Lord and God had indeed heard their cries and was going to deliver them from the bondage of the Egyptions.  Of course, God also adds here that He is the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob.  There could be no doubt to Gods children just who was in their corner in this fight.  There is a simple reason why God responds to Moses' question with the simple explanation of "I AM WHO I AM."  For God is THE one constant in the universe.  When one speaks of God, he is refering to the one...who is and has always been.  For God is neither independent self nor dependent upon anything.  On the contrary, He is the one TRUE self in the universe.  Creating everything and yet needing nothing.  Instead of telling Moses all of this at the bush, God laid it out simply for him, "I AM has sent me to you."  Obviously, our Lord knew that the children of Isreal would get the message loud and clear.

~Scott~

No comments: