Thursday, August 25, 2016

Seeing God

Now Thomas, called the twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.  The other disciples, therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord."  So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe."  And after eight days His disciples were again inside, andThomas was with them.  Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!"  Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side.  Do not be unbelieving, but believing."  And Thomas answered and said to Him, " My Lord and my God!"  Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed.  Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
John 20: 24 -29 NKJV

Sometimes I feel like the disciple Thomas.  All about me is evidence of my God and His wonders, but I don't relate it to Him.  It could be His wonder in scenery I encounter on one of our many hikes, or in the way He works through someone around me.  For as Thomas pointed out, unless we see, we do not believe.  It has long been documented that men are more visually oriented, but this is ridiculous.  For I know the wonders and the works of my Lord, both in my own life and that of others, so I should be well aware of His reach.  You would think.  However, every once in awhile something comes along which makes me stop and say to myself, "I HAVE seen, and I believe!"  Had I suddenly forgotten the majesty of my Lord?  No, but I believe He merely showed Himself in a new way for me to see.  For I had always believed yet, like Thomas, I had not noticed until Gods presence was exhibited before my very eyes.  My Lord and my God!  As I have been so often reminded, Christ Jesus is not limited to simply  working in the lives of believers.  No, for I have seen many a non believer touched and used by the reach of my Lord.  Somewhere, somehow, we will all see the presence of Christ Jesus working before us in some way.  This is the very essence of Jesus at work in Gods children.

"You are the light of the world.  A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5: 14-16 NKJV

There are many times that we may not notice the presence of our Lord until we see Him working through others around us.  For Christ Jesus is not beyond working through the earthly vessels of our Lords children.  Indeed, it is here where the presence of Jesus may have its greatest impact on others.  As Christ tells us in Matthew 5, we are to "Let our light shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."  How often do we see God working in the lives of others and imediately give glory to Christ Jesus?  He may be working in our own lives through someone around us, or He may be working in the life of that person.  Either way, Christ Jesus be glorified through his wonderous works in our lives.  Are we, as was Thomas, blinded by the fact that we far too often expect that miracle of provision in our life before we accept the presence of Christ Jesus?  I've been in that situation far too often.  Yet I also realize I'm not alone in that respect.  For if it were not for Christ working in the lives of those around me, I might just miss the opportunity to see His presence.  Indeed, like a spotlight in the darkness, the works of Christ are magnified not only in ourselves, but in those around us.  For this is the presence of Christ Jesus in the lives of His children.  Do not be unbelieving, but believing.

~Scott~
~Split Rock lighthouse outside of Two Harbors, Minnesota has been guiding ships along the rocky North Shore of Lake Superior for over a hundred years~

No comments: