Friday, August 19, 2016

How They See Me

"If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you.  If you were of the world, the world would love its own.  Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you.  Remember tthe word that I said to you, 'A servant is not greater than his master.'  If they  persecuted Me, they will also persecute you.  If they kept My word, they will keep yours also.  But all these things they will do to you for My name's  sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me.  If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.  He who hates me hates My Father also.  If I had not done among them the works which no one else did, they would have no sin; but now they have seen and also hated both Me and My Father.  But this happened that the word might be fulfilled which is written in their law, 'They hated Me without a cause.'
John 15: 18-25 NKJV

I'm often asked by more than a few people whom I come across just why I'm a christian.  Often simply stating the truth that I am a christian because I love Christ Jesus is not enough to convince someone of my beliefs.  It then becomes a discussion on how I can defend such a religion.  Such a religion?  I realize that there are many people out there who view christianity as a religion which hates sinners, despises those with bad behavior and criticizes those who do not share our beliefs.  I would like to point out here for the record that Jesus DID NOT form the religion of christianity.  No, for the religion of christianity with all of its traditions and trappings to be followed was not endorsed by Jesus, but created by man himself.  It is we who have created a religion which is to, at times, be strictly followed.  We ourselves, not Jesus, created this religion we so steadfastly follow.  So, where does this leave Christ Jesus?  Well, from what I've seen, often Jesus is lost in the traditions and practices of the church.  It is not Jesus who showed His hatred for those who sinned.  For He came to wipe away those very sins.  It is not Christ who showed His disdain for those who practiced bad behavior.  Again, it is we ourselves who have stained this man made religion with our own prejudices and fears of others.  For we would much rather condemn someone who does not share our beliefs in the hopes of "converting" them to the righteous behavior which I'm sure we all tell ourselves we exhibit on a daily basis.

If someone says, "I love God," and hates his brother, he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God whom he has not seen?  And this commandment we have from Him; that he who loves God must love his brother also.
1 John 4: 20-21 NKJV

I honestly cannot recall any place in scripture where Christ Jesus did not show love to someone who approached Him.  For Jesus was not about condemning the sinner, but making every effort that they may see the truth of His gospel.  The woman caught in adultry?  By every right she deserved to be stoned to death, albeit according to mans law.  Did Jesus also condemn her?  No!  After completely embarrasing the authorities who had gathered to punish this woman {John 8:7}, he showed her His mercy in His final words to her..."Go and sin no more" {John 8:  11}.  A woman, clearly guilty according to the law, yet sent away forgiven by the grace of Him who came to give His very life that we may have eternity with Him.  See, Jesus never needed to defend Himself as to why He did what He did.  For He led by example.  This example which He gave was simple, love one another.  How have we wandered so far from the truth of Jesus?   To say that I grow tired of justifying my belief in my savior is a understatement.  If someone wants my brutally honest opinion, it is not Christ Jesus who is on trial today, but our own traditions which we ourselves have created!  And so they will continue to demand of me just how I can support such a religion which persecutes those who sin or won't agree with the traditions which we've created.  I don't.  No, my faith is in He who loved me and gave Himself for me {Galations 2:20}.

~Scott~

No comments: