Monday, August 22, 2016

Strength In Weakness

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thougts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.  Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen ot you.  And you will seek Me and find Me,  when you search for Me with all your heart.
Jeremiah 29: 11-12 NKJV

Lately I've been blown off course by some events which have ocured in my life.  These happenings, it seems, have shaken my faith in Christ once agian.  Now, as I write this entry, I wonder just where the path of my life goes from here.  It's funny just how a unfortunate accident or two can have such a great influence on or faith and trust in God.  Then the questions come, "Lord, why are you doing this to me?"  "Lord, what have I done to anger you?"  In our pain and anguish, these may seem like legitimate questions to ask of He who created these bodies which are suffering.  However, I believe that I may have asked the wrong question of my Lord in the midst of my turmoil.  Predictably, my focus was on MY discomfort and not on HIS plan for me going forward.  In the middle of pain and suffering, we who follow Jesus may just lose our focus of that big picture He has envisioned for us.  This isn't rocket science, for it is perfectly normal for someone who is suffering to immediately focus their attention to the suffering of the moment.  As with the thorn in the apostle Pauls flesh {2 Corinthians 12:7}, we may often feel buffeted by such a severe storm.

I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago - whether in the body I do not know, or whether out of the body I do not know, God knows - such a one was caught up to the third heaven.  And I know such a man - whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows - how he was caught up into paradise and heard inexpressible words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter.  Of such a one i will boast; yet of myself I will not boast, except in my infirmities.  For though I might desire to boast, I will not be a fool; for I will speak the truth.  But I refrain, lest anyone should think me above what he sees me to be or hears from me.  And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure.  Concerning this thing, I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me.  And he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness."  Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christs sake.  For when I am weak, then I am strong.
2 Corinthians 12: 2-10 NKJV

It was only in my suffering that the words of the apostle Paul struck a chord with me.  For if any man had a reason to boast, it would be Paul.  Raised in the schools of Jewish law, advancing in power and influence far above his peers, Paul would become a leader of Jewish society of his day.  If he even dared to do so, Paul could boast of all that he had accomplished in his life.  Yet, after his conversion on that road to Damascus, he stopped short of proclaiming that glory which was his alone.  For now Paul proclaimed the glory of another greater than himself.  Paul proclaimed the glory of Christ Jesus, who had brought him to his knees on that Damascus road.  Now, as Paul is buffeted by this "Messenger of satan," which has afflicted his health, he pleads with God three times to have it removed from him.   Not once, nor twice, but three times.  In response, God responds to his servant, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness."  Ok, not the answer I'm sure Paul was looking for, but it was true nonetheless.  For it is in these times of sickness and turmoil where the strength of our heavenly Father is made perfect.  In these times of trouble, our strengths and accomplishments all go out the window, replaced by the grace and provision of a loving God.  When we feel like we can't take another step, it is Christ Jesus in us who whispers, "Walk with me."  To step out in faith is to step out in our trust that God will do what He has promised.  When we are weak, He is strong.

~Scott~
~Wolf Creek Trestle hike 2016~

No comments: