Sunday, August 14, 2016

Walking In Christ At Wolf Creek

'I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

Once again it was a good time of hiking and fellowship with my dear friend Dennis.  This time it was into the back woods of the Oregon Coast mountain range.  At times I was reminded of a few scenes from Deliverance, but it was a good day.  As usually happens on these outings, Dennis talked of Christ Jesus in us, and I listened.  I've had many a conversation with Dennis on what the apostle Paul called "This mystery among the Gentiles" {Colosions 1:27}.  It has been a challanging prospect to grasp, but I've definately grown in my knowledge of the gift of Christ Jesus in us all.  I can definately now understand just why Paul refered to this as a mystery.  For the truth of Christ in us is not a teaching which is common in the modern church.  And so, how  will others know of this truth if those who know the truth will not share it?  I have been blessed witha few Godly brothers in my life who have shared this truth with me.  They are simply sharing the truth to all who will listen.  If not for these men of God, I would not have heard of the mystery of Christ in me.  It is definately a unique feeling, knowing that our risen Lord Jesus resides fully in those who accept Him.  Not only did Christ walk His path to the cross for the forgivness of our sins, He walks today within us.  I have learned that we ourselves can walk each day and face each and every situation AS Christ Jesus who is within us.  How small the fears we daily face when we see ourselves as a extension of Christ Jesus?

Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with  Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.  For he who has died has been freed from sin.  Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more.  Death no longer has dominion over Him.  For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.  Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.  Therefore, do  not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts.
Romans 6: 6-12 NKJV

Think about that, that we who hold to the truth of Christ Jesus, we walk daily AS Jesus!  Think of that for a minute, no matter what it is we face each day, be it a difficult person or situation, we do it AS christ who is within us.  If you have trouble wrapping your understanding around this, don't worry, many before you have had the same issue.  However, unlike mere fables or stories, this mystery has the word of God to back it up.  This decision to invite Jesus into our hearts takes no physical effort on our behalf, only the choice to accept this gift which Jesus has provided.  For it was not our Lords intent that we should be without His very presence.  As Jesus has told us, if we have known Him, then we have known the Father as well {John 14:7}.  Therefore, if indeed Christ Jesus is in us, then God the Father is in us as well.  How willing we are to accept the sacrafice of Jesus on the cross to forgive our sins, yet we waver at accepting His walking within us.  I've been there.
As we neared the end of our recent journey into Wolf Creek, I asked Dennis again about the sin issue we all face.  As many do, I worry about how my sin affects my standing with God.  However, as he usually does, Dennis put this into perspective for me.  For God is not angered, but grieved with my sin.  For He knows all too well the glory and wonder of the gift which Christ Jesus has given me.  As far as my sin goes, that "Body of sin" which I once had has now been put to death with the death and resurection of Jesus.  I need not worry that I am still a sinner saved by grace, but a new creation in Christ Jesus my Lord.  Thank you Dennis.

~Scott~

~Wolf Creek Hike 2016~
hopefully he won't start charging me counseling fees :)

No comments: