Monday, May 9, 2016

A Comfortable Pew

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.
2 Timothy 4: 3-4 NKJV

The other day I found myself asking just why it was that more people have not known the truth about Jesus Christ.  This truth being the realization of Jesus Christ in us.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

It is this truth that I have attempted previously to relate to my readers.  It is also a truth which I myself have not always known.  No, for someone else also introduced this truth to me as well.  I believe that it is a truth that the apostle Paul struggled to come to as well.  However, once he arrived at this revelation, he did his best to share it with whoever he could.  Thankfully, we have the scriptures to guide us along the way to this realization.  Yet, having the scriptures and knowing this truth of Jesus, many still remain unaware of this precious gift.  Why is this?  Ultimately I believe it comes down to the doctrine that is brought before them.  This is the very same doctrine that I was exposed to, yet I eventually became aware of the truth of Christ in me.  Of course, this came with along with my own struggles.  In 2 Timothy 4, the apostle Paul warns his young apprentice Timothy to beware of those who would bring false teachings upon Christs church.  These were the early days of the church, and I believe some of the most vulnerable as well.  Were there already those in the church who were introducing false doctrines?  Did Paul forsee this happening?  Whatever the case, Paul warned his protege to be on the lookout.

But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction.  And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed.  By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgement has been idle, and their destruction does not slumber.
2 Peter 2: 1-3 NKJV

Indeed, the warnings of false messages are abundant in scripture.  I believe that it is extremely easy for a pulpit pounder to form his own message and introduce it to his congregation.  For many come to church in order to hear what they assume will be Gods holy message.  This is why our pastors and ministers shoulder the great responsibility of leading the flock of Jesus.

This is a faithful saying: If a man desires the position of a bishop, he desires a good work.  A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach; not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous; one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence.  (For if man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?); not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same condemnation as the devil.
1 Timothy 3: 1-6 NKJV

Again in 1 Timothy 3, Paul continues his warning to his young student.  Here, he gives Timothy a list of qualifications for those who would desire to lead the flock of Jesus.  How many of todays pulpit pounders exemplify these requirements?  Have we forgotten Pauls warnings?   I cannot stress enough the importance of having a pastor who is a Godly man, following the example of Pauls qualifications in 1 Timothy 3.  Why?  Because the flock of Jesus Christ is in need of being led and not misled!  For it is this flock of Jesus who, with itching ears, will yearn for a message they feel comfortable with.  However, it is this message of the truth of Christ Jesus that is often found to be uncomfortable to those who lead the flock of Jesus today.

~Scott~

No comments: