Saturday, May 14, 2016

Identity Crisis

Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound.  Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Philippians 4: 11-13 NKJV

The apostle Paul was certainly a man who was familiar with suffering as well as joy and provision.  Here was a man who went from a world of Jewish religious authority to one of speaking to all of the gospel of Christ.  Now, as far as we know, the man Paul had never met Jesus until that day on the road to Damascus.  However, the book of Acts certainly gives us indications of Pauls activity after Christs crucifiction.  For here was Paul actively persecuting the early church.

Then Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked for letters from him to the synagogues of Damascus, so that if he found any who were of the Way, whether men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem.
Acts 9: 1-2 NKJV

Clearly, the man Saul had it out for the early followers of Jesus.  This is understandable knowing his background, being raised in the Jewish law.  A student of those who would ultimately crucify Christ.  However, Saul was also on a collision course with the very one he was persecuting.  Although he was a deeply religious man, Saul was suffering from a identity crisis.  For his life was revolving around a mistaken idea of just who God was.  Oh, Saul knew the very name of God, as those of the Jewish faith did, but they knew not of the gift of the risen Lord.  No, for this is the very man they had crucified in one of the biggest shams of a trial in history.  Yes, this man Saul knew of God according to the old testament law which he had studied.  The trouble is, that old testament law made no room for the grace and forgiveness of Gods gift of salvation.

As he journeyed he came near Damascus, and suddenly a light shone around him from heaven.  Then he fell to the ground, and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?"  And he said, "Who are you, Lord?"  Then the Lord said, "I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting.  It is hard for you to kick against the goads."  So he, trembling and astonished, said, "Lord, what do you want me to do?"  Then the Lord said to him, "Arise and go into the city and you will be told what you must do."  And the men who journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice but seeing no one.
Acts 9: 3-7 NKJV

Pauls experience on the road to Damascus that day has to rank as one of the greatest moments in all of history.  Make no mistake about it, Saul was much a hated and feared man to the early church.  His threats and persecutions having resulted in the death of Stephen and many others. One of the first times I read of Sauls experience my first thought was, poor Ananias!  For it was Ananias who would be tasked with the baptism of a man he feared would kill him.  As the story goes, Saul would soon become Paul, one of the greatest defenders of the gospel of Jesus the world would ever know.

This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief.
1 Timothy 1:15 NKJV

A dear freind recently gave me a new perspective of Philippians 4:13 that may help with our own identity crisis.  Yes, we know that our Lord Jesus has born our sin burden, but that is not where our own identity lies.  For we are no longer sinners, but a new creation in Christ Jesus.  THIS is the identity crisis we face today.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who  live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

It is Paul, having his own identity crisis identified, who speaks to us today of just how we are in Jesus.  That identity crisis we once had, is now clarified by the man who refered to himself as "Chief of sinners."  The same Jesus who spoke to Saul on that Damascus road, resides within us today.  Instead of doing all things through Christ who strengthens us, as Philippians 4:13 tells us, Christ IS OUR very strength.

~Scott~

No comments: