Saturday, May 7, 2016

Family Traditions

Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ.
Colossions 2:8 NKJV

I've heard a few too many people complain of the modern church.  A few of the reasons that my fellow citizens raise concerns are tithing, communion and other such traditions in the church.  Granted, these traditions have been with us for some time, but are they really pushing Gods people away from the church?  I would agree that they are.  I cannot imagine that the very reason that someone would attend church would be to  engage in the traditions of the modern church.  No, for usually the fellowship of others is a prime motivation.  But what of these traditions, are they indeed God ordained?  Well, I would say that a good portion of them aren't.  It is here where we see the interference of men in Gods house of worship.  It is in Colossions 2:8 where the apostle Paul warns us to avoid these false traditions.  I mentioned tithing as a primary example.

"Will a man rob God?  Yet you have robbed me!  But you say, 'In what way have we robbed you?'  In tithes and offerings.  You are cursed witha curse, for you have robbed me, even this whole nation.  Bring all tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,"  Says the Lord of hosts, "If I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing, That there will not be room enough to receive it."
Malachai 3: 8-9 NKJV

In old testament times there were certain tribes of the nation of Isreal who's only job it was was to minister to Gods people.  This was the tribe of Levi.  Now, in order to provide for these men, who had no employment income, a tithe was instituted in order that the priests would have food.  However, apparently the people were slacking in this commitment in the days of the prophet Malachai.  Therefore, we see the scriptures in Malachai chapter 3 of those who are "Robbing" God.  Now, what relevance does this scripture have for us today?  Well, seperate from the fact of paying tithes for the upkeep of the church building, missions and the paychecks of the pastor and his staff, I see no relevance of these scriptures in Malachai and the church today.  Yet, many a pulpit pounder will use this scripture in order to bleed more money out of his congregation.  I do not blame people for being turned off by this chicanery!  No, for this is using Gods holy scripture to deceive someone into giving money.  I've even seen congregations where the paying of tithes to the church is a requirement of membership!  Don't even get me started on requirements for church membership.  Here's some advice for the modern church, if you didn't have such a large, fancy building and oversized staff, YOU WOULDN'T NEED SO MANY TITHES!  I can see the negative comments already.  This is exactly why I refer to tithing in the modern church as tradition.

"However, the Most High does not dwell in temples made with hands, as the prophet says: 'Heaven is My throne, And the earth is My footstool.  What house will you build for Me?  Says the LORD, Or what is the place of My rest?  Has my hand not made all these things.
Acts 7: 48-49 NKJV

Now, seeing these words in Acts 7, are we still assured that we need eleaborate buildings in order to "properly" worship our heavenly Father?  No, for God has made all that we see.  There is no house of worship that man can construct that is not made of things created by God.  And what of the tradition of the church building itself?  Show me Gods requirement that we ought to have a church building in order to worship our Lord.  For in the very same breath we are fond of saying that God is everywhere we see.  Much hypocracy?  Let us gather then as the church of Christ wherever it is that we are, that we may offer our praises and reverence to Him.  For wherever it is we choose to seek Him, He will be there.

Scott~

No comments: