Sunday, May 8, 2016

Those Old Shoes

"For I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you took me in; I was naked and you clothed me; I was sick and you visited me; I was in prison and you came to see me.  Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?  When did we see You a stranger and take you in, or naked and clothe you?  Or when did we see you sick, or in prison, and come to you?  And the King will answer and say to them, Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to me.   Then He will also say to those on the left hand, depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels."
Mark 25: 35-41 NKJV

There's an age old saying of someone who is going through hard times.  For when questioned, one will often proclaim, "Walk a mile in my shoes."  They are, in essence, asking someone to put themselves in their place, to  understand them better.  I do agree with this approach for the most part.  How can we try to understand what someone is going through without knowing how it affects them.  trials can be personal to each person who endures them.  We can, if at all possible, try to put ourselves in their place.  This may seem difficult, as all we may want to do at times is offer hollow advice to someone who is having difficulty.  I believe that one of the absolute worst things we can do for someone who is going through tribulation is to quote them from scripture.  This can be seen as hollow advice, I believe, in that many people may see it as impersonal.  It's been my experience, when dealing with trials, when approached by a fellow christian offering to help by relating certain scripture, that it seems like so many empty words.  Now, to the person giving the advice, it may seem as if they are helping.  They are not  walking in those old shoes.  Of course, I've been guilty of doing thhe exact same thing as well.  I lose track of what it is my focus in such a situation should be.  Am I there to encourage with scripture, or to have empathy with my brother?  Of course, scripture has its place in situations where encouragement may be needed.  However, I  believe that this is not one of those situations.  If I am going through a hard time, I would much rather someone ask me about the weather than quot me another scripture!  

Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possesions and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.  So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44-47 NKJV

How often, when we are facing difficult situations, do we long for someone to come and quote us scriptures?  No, this is a time when it is better to come beside someone with encouraging words.  As I've said, scripture also has its place in encouragement.  I just believe this is not one of those times.  Put on those old shoes!  So, what can we do to comfort and encourage someone who is going through a trial?  Well, from personal experience I feel that just having someone there to give a encouraging word is one of the best things we can do.  Now, please don't confuse a encouraging word with quoting scripture, I believe they are two different things.  It is in Mark 25 where we see Jesus teaching on this very issue.  As Jesus relates different experiences, he gives a unique perspective for us to see.  When He was hungry, they fed Him.  When He was thirsty, they gave Him drink.  When He was sick, they visited Him.  Not once during this parable was the one afflicted visited by those quoting scripture.  No, for He was comforted with food, drink and companionship!  The ones who comforted Him put on those old shoes!

~Scott~

No comments: