Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Our Importance In Christ

"I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one is Us, that the world may believe that You sent me.  And the glory which you gave me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one:  I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.  Father, I desire that they also whom you gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for you loved Me before the foundation of the world."
John 17: 20-24 NKJV

It can be a life changing realization when one realizes it.  That moment when we come to that realization that our importance, our very worth is not determined by those around us, but by Him who created us.   No longer do we need to listen to the voices of this world to dictate to us our value.  No, for the world did not ultimately create who we are.  Therefore, it is not the world who defines us.  From the very begining, we were created, loved and ultimately redeemed by our heavenly Father.  It is He who defines us, we are His creation.

For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
Ephesians 2:10 NKJV

Like many, I've often felt that pull of self doubt as to my own importance in this world.  This can be a dangerous place to dwell, bringing with it doubt and depression.  For this world will attempt to persuade us that our worth depends not on God, but on the world that surrounds us.  More often than not, we fall into the trap of believing that somehow we are not worthy of those around us.  Indeed, the circumstances of our lives can increase these feelings of doubt.  I think of the apostle Thomas, who would only believe that which his own eyes could see in front of him.  Upon hearing of his Lords resurection, he refused to believe.  Now, Thomas could have continued in his denial and not accept the wonderful gift that Jesus had bestowed upon us, but  Jesus had other ideas.   Jesus, knowing of Thomas' disbelief, chose to prove once and for all to His doubting disciple the truth of His resurection.

The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord."  So hesaid to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe."   And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them.  Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst and said, "Peace to you!"  Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at my hands; and reach your hand here, and put it  into My side.  Do not be unbelieving, but beleiving."  And Thomas aswered and said, "My Lord and my God!"  Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed.  Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
John 20: 25-28 NKJV

I can identify with Thomas at times.  For all that this world teaches us can contradict the truth of Jesus.  The world will tell us that we are flesh and blood, not important and dependent only on those around us.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  For we who believe in the free gift of Jesus are not of this world, nor does this world we inhabit define us as to who we truly are.  The truth of Jesus runs contrary to what this world tells us.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

What is the message of this world?  Is it not that our very worth depends on those around us?  Is it not the words of others that often determine our moods, attitudes and sense of worth?  However, the apostle Paul tells us in Galations 2 that what now defines us is the indwelling spirit of our Lord Christ.  It is Jesus who  now resides in us, and Jesus has overcome this world!  We can rest assured that it  is Christ who we can now draw our identity.

~Scott~

No comments: