Monday, May 23, 2016

More Valuable Than These

For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.  For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would  even dare to die.  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5: 6-8 NKJV

O how many times I've felt the shame of condemnation.  I wasn't good enough.  I couldn't measure up.  I'd  never amount to much.  On and on it went.  Of course, this in turn fed many a feelings of low self esteem.  I would bet, however, that I was not the only one who had these feelings of personal destruction.  Many people have had these issues of self worth, often influenced by their experiences and surroundings.  Now, contrary to popular belief, this does not make them lower than a snakes belly!  One truth I have learned through my many battles is that my feelings about myself DO NOT actually determine how others see me.  But just where do these feelings of low self esteem come from?  And are these feelings a accurate description of who we really are?  For the most part, most of my low opinions of myself revolved around how I BELIEVED others saw me.  Of course, those around me more than likely didn't feel the way I thought they did, but that's exactly how I felt.  Yes, I know there are others out there who have been down that very same road, and it's my hope that this offers them encouragement that these are ultimately false beliefs.  Do you see yourself as a sinner?  Well, in Romans 5 the apostle Paul tells us that despite all of this, our Lord loved us enough to send His Son to die for us!  Still have low self esteem after realizing this truth?  Ok, now ask yourself, just who are you?  Who resides within you?  Is it not Jesus Himself?

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is NO LONGER I WHO LIVE, BUT CHRIST LIVES IN ME; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

If indeed Christ is within us, how can we dare have feelings of low self worth?  Are we not now intimately connected with Christ?  For when we believe the lie that we are not worth much, we are in effect saying that Jesus is not worth much also.  We are now connected, we now live AS CHRIST who is within us.  I highly doubt that our Jesus, Lord of the universe, would ever feel inferior to anyone or anything.  And so it is with us.  I will also toss yet another log on the fire here by suggesting that it is arrogant of us to even assume that we are truly independent enough to hold onto such feelings o flow self esteem.  Are we truly independent?   Did God not create each of us?  How independent can that be?  Of course, the only one who can be  truly independent is Him who was there from the begining.  I'm sure most of know that answer.

"And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul.  But rather fear Him who is able to destroy bith soul and body in hell.  Are not two sparrows sold fr a copper coin?  And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Fathers will.  But the very hairs of your head are numbered.  Do not fear therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.
Matthew 10: 28-31 NKJV

There is no guarantee that we will not have feelings of low self worth from time to time, but we do well to realize that which Paul called the "Mystery among the gentiles."  That mystery is our truth, which is Jesus Christ in us.


~Scott~

No comments: