Friday, May 13, 2016

I Am

But Moses said to God, "Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Isreal out of Egypt?"  So He said, "I will certainly be with you.  And this shall be a sign to you that I have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain."  Then Moses said to God, "Indeed, when I come to the children of Isreal and say to them, the God of your fathers has sent me to you," and they say to me, "What is His name?' What shall I say to them?"  And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM."  And He said, Thus you shall say to the children of Isreal, 'I AM has sent me to you."  Moreover God said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the children of Isreal: "The LORD God of your fathers, The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God  of Jacob has sent me to you.  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial to all generations."
Exodus 3: 11-15 NKJV

Moses was confused.  God indeed had a plan for him, but Moses wanted nothing to do with it.  See, Gods people the Isrealites had  been enslaved by their Egyption captors for generations.  For generations, Gods people had lifted up prayers and cries to heaven seeking Gods deliverance from Egypt.  Now, God was tasking Moses with going before the Egyption Pharaoh to demend he release Gods people from captivity.  I can understand Moses' apprehension, for this was Pharaoh, and one just didn't go before this man to demand anything!  Yet, here was God asking Moses to do just that.  I can imagine the thoughts going through Moses' head.  God wants me to do this thing, what do I tell Pharaoh?  What do I tell my own people?  Well, God had an answer to both of these questions.  Gods thoughts were not of Moses' fears, but for the deliverance of his afflicted people.  Moses protested, God insisted!  Moses wasn't going to win this argument.

Then the Lord said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the children of Isreal: 'You have seen that I have talked with you from heaven.  You shall not make anything to be with Me - gods of silver or gods of gold you shall not make for yourselves."
Exodus 20: 22-23 NKJV

I find it interesting our Lords response to Moses when he asked just who he would tell the leaders of Isreal that he had spoken with.  Gods response?  I AM WHO I AM!  God did not reply I wish, I want or I need.  No, Gods response...I AM has sent you!  The people of Isreal would certainly understand that.  God has no identity crisis, He simply is who He is.  He is the first and the last, the Alpha and the Omega.  He does not change, He will always be who He is.  Not only that, but our heavenly Father is all knowing, all seeing AND self sufficient.  There is nothing that God requires.  There is nothing that our Lord needs.  Knowing this, we can assume that our Lord is the only true independent self in His creation.  Yes, we may believe that we are independent, but at the end of the day we have wants, wishes and needs.  If we were truly independent as God is, we would have no need whatsoever for someone to fill whatever needs that we may have.  When is the last time God asked you to meet a need He might have?  No, it is we who approach our Lords throne humbly seeking His provision for our lives.  If we are truly independent people, what business do we have asking God for anything?  Can we not provide for ourselves?  Yeah, good luck with that.  Moses couldn't, and didn't, free the Isrealites from Egypt.  God did this through Moses.

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
Genesis 2:7 NKJV

As our Lords creation, we were not only created in His very image, but upon our creation, He breathed His breath of life into us.  How can he that is created be independent of his creator?

~Scott~

No comments: